oven stand size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oven stand size

Ouch! That is high. I had two choices for firebrick on my oven. One was a pressed firebrick that was very close to perfect. I used those for the floor. Another, cheaper option, was a wire cut firebrick that I used for the dome. The wire cut were not as perfect in symmetry as the pressed. But, I figured since they would be mostly cuts, what the "hey" .

I know that John (GianniFoccacia) would think this "a blasphemy", as my dome was not built from the most perfect of cuts . But, the old gal is holding up so far .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yeah it's pretty crazy prices up here... We used to have tons of clay Manufacturers here but they have all closed down so everything has shipping costs added into it. When I bought my CFB the shipping would have been more than the product itself. Luckily I had someone drive it down for me.

Comment

Also as part of the gift of those vaneer bricks I got several clay chimney flue's that are 8"x8" OD and 6.5"?6.5 ID and about 2 feet tall. Would one of these work for the chminey of a 36" oven? I'd end up facing it with some of that clay brick that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
          Also as part of the gift of those vaneer bricks I got several clay chimney flue's that are 8"x8" OD and 6.5"?6.5 ID and about 2 feet tall. Would one of these work for the chminey of a 36" oven? I'd end up facing it with some of that clay brick that I have.
          Your question and my answer will probably create a lot of discussion . I think that the 6.5 X 6.5 ID liners will be fine for a 36" oven. You may end up having to use 1 and a half to two sections to get a suitable draw height, though.

My main consern would be their condition, since they are used. Also, have they been stored out in the weather since they were removed? I'm thinking of them getting wet and how freeze/thaw might effect them. I'm not sure that it would
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Yeah I'm always a little leary of used things. These do seem to be in good condition and we're only used in the chimney for 2 years. I'm not married to the idea of using them just thought that they might be easier to install and face with brick. But yes they have been stored outside since 2012 and have been through several freeze/that cycles.

Comment

You mentioned facing the liner with the used brick. I had a wet saw, so cutting the face brick was no problem. I cut my brick leaving a 2" face. This left about a 2" gap betwen the liner and the face brick which was filled with 10 to 1 vecrete.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	0212.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	303570Click image for larger version

Name:	00127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	303569
              The ss pipe shown at the top is just where I inserted a transition piece should I have wanted to extend the chimney with a section of double wall pipe. The face brick on my chimney are 3 brick X 3 brick (24"X24"). The 8" OD flu liner that you have would only require 2 brick X 2 brick (16"X16") if done this way. That is, if you decide to use them.

Comment

I got updated brick pricing and its 2.63 per brick. One thing that they mentioned was that they were only good for up to 1800F...im assuming that is ok? If not ill have to find another source for brick.

For cutting the brick I have a table saw style 7" wet saw with diamond blades, I know most people use the HF 10" saw but a similar saw in Canada is much more expensive and not sure I will have the budget to buy a new saw this year. Does anyone have experience with the same type of saw that I have? Will I be able to taper bricks with this or be stuck just doing half bricks?

I have started leaning towards a 32" with some sort of small enclosure. Id love a 36 with a bigger enclosure but im worried that with my base being only 50x50 that it may end up looking like a fat guy with tiny legs lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                  You mentioned facing the liner with the used brick. I had a wet saw, so cutting the face brick was no problem. I cut my brick leaving a 2" face. This left about a 2" gap betwen the liner and the face brick which was filled with 10 to 1 vecrete.
                  [ATTACH]41598[/ATTACH][ATTACH]41597[/ATTACH]
                  The ss pipe shown at the top is just where I inserted a transition piece should I have wanted to extend the chimney with a section of double wall pipe. The face brick on my chimney are 3 brick X 3 brick (24"X24"). The 8" OD flu liner that you have would only require 2 brick X 2 brick (16"X16") if done this way. That is, if you decide to use them.

If my oven is even a 10th as nice as yours ill be happy!

Comment

Thanks for the compliment,
                    I just noticed that we left you hanging with a couple of conserns.

I got updated brick pricing and its 2.63 per brick. One thing that they mentioned was that they were only good for up to 1800F...im assuming that is ok? If not ill have to find another source for brick.

The firebrick will be just fine.....Unless you can find some cheaper .

For cutting the brick I have a table saw style 7" wet saw with diamond blades, I know most people use the HF 10" saw but a similar saw in Canada is much more expensive and not sure I will have the budget to buy a new saw this year. Does anyone have experience with the same type of saw that I have? Will I be able to taper bricks with this or be stuck just doing half bricks?

I used my 7" wet tile saw to cut a few brick. I had to turn each brick over to finish the cut on the other side. That was through the narrow 2" thickness. For a 4" cut, (like tapering an arch brick) you will be more or less marking a relief cut in the brick. You will have to finish the cut with a brick set. Even a 10" saw does'nt completely cut through the 4" depth.

I have started leaning towards a 32" with some sort of small enclosure. Id love a 36 with a bigger enclosure but im worried that with my base being only 50x50 that it may end up looking like a fat guy with tiny legs lol.

If you are wanting a 36" oven, you may not be satisfied with "settling" for a 32". I'm more of a very rough sketch artist with a little drafting experience. But, there are many on this site who downloaded free software to get an idea of what their ovens would look like to scale. You might be able to take care of that "look" you described with some matching prep tables on the side

Comment

I did find a place a 2 hour drive away where I could get them for 2 bucks each but they only have #1 and #2 arch bricks no straights. I also found another place that I was going to get a quote from but they have a 500 brick minimum.

Comment

................. but they only have #1 and #2 arch bricks no straights. I also found another place that I was going to get a quote from but they have a 500 brick minimum.
                        In both cases, are you sure that they are quoting firebrick? A 500 brick minimum sounds like face brick or pavers.

Comment

The 500 brick minimum is from a construction supply company. I'm going g to get a quote from them and see if they have a spec sheet. Regarding the arch bricks the ad said firebrick Firebricks/Refractory Material for sale - LAKE LENORE SK - General Equipment| Free Buy and Sell Local Classifieds | CanSellAll.com

Comment

The "super duty" firebrick will be hard to cut ............. Ask, Russell............. . And, it would be best to complete the dome out of all the same density brick.

Comment

Thanks I won't even consider it then... I have no masonry experience so I don't need to make this any harder to do. I'd rather pay a bit of a premium and make it easier on myself!

Comment

When I put a slab over my existing hearth slab can I use 1" plywood between the 2 layers and then just cut out the wood where it cantalievers. This would leave the majority of the plywood between both layers. Just trying to figure out how to get that slab poured while supporting the edges that hang over

Comment

Working...
                                X