Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: oven stand size

tbt,

Unless there is significant cost saving, super duty are very hard on diamond blades and you will eat up the cost saving with blade cost. I went through a good dozen blades, although they were cheap quality blades. Plus those arch brick are tapered in the wrong direction for your dome. Good luck.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

If it were me, I would not sandwich the plywood. I know it sounds more dificult, but I would form around the existing slab. It will take more 2X material but less plywood. If it is formed with enough support, 1/2" plwood is ok. It can be formed totally with 2X material. I have done that on several projects where I was going to reuse 2X lumber on another form or a later project. Most times I would form it to where I made as few cuts as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FormCanada.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	303731

I couldn't find an example on the web, but maybe you can figure out what I was trying to draw in powerpoint as an example. Though not to scale, I am trying to show a form around something like your stand using 8' 2X4's with no cuts. The support kickers will have to be cut though. Using deck screws speeds up the assembly and disassembly of the form boards for later reuse.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I plum looked over the insulation the first time I looked at the link for the arch brick.
        Skamol Super 1100E & Super Isol insulating boards
        You might want to call them for a price. That is Calcium Silicate boards .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
          When I put a slab over my existing hearth slab can I use 1" plywood between the 2 layers and then just cut out the wood where it cantalievers. This would leave the majority of the plywood between both layers. Just trying to figure out how to get that slab poured while supporting the edges that hang over
          Build a box around the existing slab and support it with 2x4 legs. Plywood between the layers is going to bring you a multitude of problems...don't do that.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            I plum looked over the insulation the first time I looked at the link for the arch brick.
            Skamol Super 1100E & Super Isol insulating boards
            You might want to call them for a price. That is Calcium Silicate boards .
            Last year when I thought I would get to my oven(ended up welding myself up a big smoker) I ended up buying a case of five 1x3 foot 2" thick boards of Insblok 19 so if I'm careful with my planning I can make those work for my oven. If I need more I will give them a call.

The good news is that I didn't build the oven as I would have ended up using my brickwoodovens.com foam form and would have a barrel style.

On a side note building my own smoker gave me the confidence to try my hand at a Pompeii oven as I built that with zero prior welding experience... So now I think I can be a mason lol

Comment

If it were me, I would not sandwich the plywood. I know it sounds more dificult, but I would form around the existing slab. It will take more 2X material but less plywood. If it is formed with enough support, 1/2" plwood is ok. It can be formed totally with 2X material. I have done that on several projects where I was going to reuse 2X lumber on another form or a later project. Most times I would form it to where I made as few cuts as possible.

[ATTACH]41800[/ATTACH]

I couldn't find an example on the web, but maybe you can figure out what I was trying to draw in powerpoint as an example. Though not to scale, I am trying to show a form around something like your stand using 8' 2X4's with no cuts. The support kickers will have to be cut though. Using deck screws speeds up the assembly and disassembly of the form boards for later reuse.
              No plywood sandwiched between it is. When you suggest that I box around my existing slab I'm assuming that it is support for the plywood is that correct? For the boards that touch my existing slab would those be anchored into the existing slab to hold them up or would you brace with boards going down to the ground? As you can tell concrete is not my specialty

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
                No plywood sandwiched between it is. When you suggest that I box around my existing slab I'm assuming that it is support for the plywood is that correct?

Yes: for me Stonecutter, and I think a 3+ from NCMan. For what ever you deck the form with, just set the form lower by the thickness of your decking ("plywood").

For the boards that touch my existing slab would those be anchored into the existing slab to hold them up or would you brace with boards going down to the ground?

You will have to support the outside of the cantilevered form from the ground anyway. Unless you already have good masonry bits, and a good hammer drill, drilling into anything but fresh concrete can be a btch So, you might as well use one 2X4 post (for each support) for both at the same time.

As you can tell concrete is not my specialty

You also mentioned in an earlier post that you had "no brick laying experience"......... When your build is finished.............you want be able to say either........anymore
                Give me a couple of days and I will draw you a rough set of plans for your form.

Comment

Just build an L shaped form around your existing slab, make some T shaped supports , and away you go.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    Just build an L shaped form around your existing slab, make some T shaped supports , and away you go.
                    Thanks Stonecutter ,
                    You just saved me a lot of time from drawing a "schematic"

Comment

Thanks Stonecutter ,
                      You just saved me a lot of time from drawing a "schematic"
                      Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
                      Leonardo da Vinci

Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                        Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
                        Leonardo da Vinci

Yes it is .............. and I understand what you said just fine..............But, do you think that every newbie......with no forming experience ......... will?

just sayin'

Comment

Looks like you may be doing those schematics after all.
                          My Build:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Yes it is .............. and I understand what you said just fine..............But, do you think that every newbie......with no forming experience ......... will?

just sayin'
                            By all means, draw away...if you feel like it.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

[ATTACH]41800[/ATTACH]

I think that this is starting to make sense to me now...Lets see if I am really am catching on

What you have depicted is several 2x4's screwed together to box around the existing slab. To make the slab wider I would just add more 2x4's. So if I needed to add 6" to each side of the slab I'd need 4 - 2x4's per side. Then I would place a piece of plywood on top of that. This along with the legs going down to the ground would provide the support that I require, is that correct? Then I'd put another 2x4 box on top of that which would act as my concrete form....Did I finally catch on or am I still lost lol?

If I did catch on would a 2 1/2 slab work(That's what my current hearth slab is making the 52"x50" actually a full 5" and only the portion that cantelievers would be 2 1/2) be enough or do I need the full 3 1/2 that a 2x4 would provide me?

Comment

Ouch! That is high. I had two choices for firebrick on my oven. One was a pressed firebrick that was very close to perfect. I used those for the floor. Another, cheaper option, was a wire cut firebrick that I used for the dome. The wire cut were not as perfect in symmetry as the pressed. But, I figured since they would be mostly cuts, what the "hey" .
                                I did ask the one place about "seconds" and the masonry place said they didn't carry them....I will ask them about wire cut though. Seems my options are super limited here.

Comment

Working...
                                X