Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question: Has Anyone Ever Used Cob for the Stand?

Uh, you are both the cute one. And by farmer, I meant Graduate student in Biology..

Comment

Way to go Nick, nice to hear from you.

Calpollyalli -- can you post something about the bee die-off in the Chit-Chat Section (otherwise known as how are we going to feed outselves without pollination). I'm a big fan of olive trees, and they have small little white flowers that have to be pollinated by insects -- I'd like to learn more.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hmmmm, out of curiosity, does anyone know how the exterior of the oven (made of cob) is insulated? If it isn't, how hot does it get?
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Yes I'm resurrecting an ancient thread. So sue me...

I think I figured out how to do it. I saw a picture of an oven that had been made on a wooden stand - it was portable if I recall correctly - and that gave me an idea. Cob houses sometimes incorporate wooden beams in order to support the weight of the roof. It seems to me that I can do the same thing to support the weight of the oven. Rebar and concrete would form the actual table top (for want of a better term) cob would form the walls and encase the wooden beams.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Archena,
            We are hoping to use mudbricks for our stand. These are as strong as block bricks and with a sealant like boncrete, they will last forever.
            Cheers Lee

Comment

I have been very involved and have helped build mudbrick houses, and I know the strength of a good mudbrick,( as long as they are made right in the first place) .
              I have no doubt the ones we are going to be using will do the job just fine.
              Just to add to your confusion ..lol
              Cheers Lee

Comment

I once built a pottery kiln out of mud bricks in Carisbrook, Vic. It worked ok. We got it so hot, around 1100 C I would estimate and the inside sheared off in melted sheets from the high iron content in the clay, but the pottery was not affected. Mud is a great insulator. At our temps (450 C max) it's refractory enough.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Actually mudbrick doesn't confuse me all. I've done a good bit of reading about it as a result of all reading I've done about cob.

I'm sure everyone here will be surprised that there's anything that doesn't confuse me...

[/CENTER]

Comment

The very first ovens in history are just basically cob.

Comment

Working...
                    X