No announcement yet.

Canada - Hard Time Getting Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canada - Hard Time Getting Material?

I am going to use the material suggested by Alphatherm for the insulated floor on the Hearth. Its called KFAC-19 (Aluminum Silicate Board). It looks like its made by Therma fibre.The website is

http://www.thermafiber.com/uFolder/uploads/TF554.pdf

Cost is $115(Can) for a carton which should do the 48 sq inches. The MSDS sheet looks good providing you are not breathing in cut particles on a long term basis, which is probably true of any insulation.

Tony

Comment

Although this thread isn't that current, I have to add my 2-cents worth about Canadian availability and also prices.

Here in Ottawa:

Ready-mix concrete was readily-available, at $4 for a 30 kg (66 lb) bag from Home Depot but at $6 a bag at the local masonry supply store. When questioned, the local guy said that, being a small independent supplier, they just couldn't compete with a large chain like HD. OK.

For firebricks, the independent local supplier charges $1.50 per brick ... but is out of stock, likely till Monday. They didn't know what type (thermal mass or insulating) it was and seemed almost resentful when I wanted to know if they knew if it was low- or medium-duty. Didn't know.

I called a few other places that specialize in tile, brick, stone, etc. Most don't stock it, although I did find one place over in Quebec who has them for something like $2.50 apiece.

So I called HD. They have 28 of them in stock. For ... get this ... $5.19 each!!!

So, how is it that the independent supplier, who can't compete with HD on concrete, can sell firebrick for $1.50 (which I still think should be cheaper if you guys in the US are getting them for a dollar), while HD, who, with their huge economies of scale, should be able to sell them for less but charges more than triple???

As for fireclay, I asked at the independent specialty place, locally regarded as the best place in the area for masonry supplies, if they sell it. No. Do they know where I can get it? No.

SuperIsol: What??

I had a long drive to the agricultural supply place for vermiculite but at least they had it and it seemed like a bargain at $16.99 a bag (big - can't recall what volume).

I haven't yet begun on refractory cement but then, without any bricks ...

Stalled-out in Ottawa,
      Sarah

Comment

Did any of you ever build an oven? And where did you get your materials?
        Thanks!

Comment

I did not post on this thread, but I got most of my stuff through Elvis and Alphatherm and I make pizza pretty much every week in my Pompeii which I finished in April. I did a 'how to' on field stones in the finish section.

Comment

Thank you! Alphatherm is 4 hours from here unfortunately. Also, whenever I try to do a search on this forum, is says something about it can't do it. As a result, I have to spend a long time reading through old posts to find what I need. I end up posting questions on threads that have probably been answered somewhere else. Very frustrating for myself and everyone else I am sure. Any suggestions?

Comment

Well, I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about the search function? You'd better ask the moderators.

You might try sending a PM to individuals. Sometimes it takes a while to notice them but it usually works, eventually. Alternatively, you can ask me or somebody else in a thread. I don't mind if I already answered a question - I can just link to a reply. Of course, I am not an expert as some of these folk, but I did complete an oven.

With regard to materials, there are a few things you can do. You can probably source most of the materials a lot closer than you thing. The tricky stuff to find is the insulating board, which can be shipped, worst case. Besides, I am pretty sure thousands of ovens have been built in Italy that didn't use a fancy engineered ceramic material.

The most expensive things to ship would be the bricks and mortar I bet you can find them relatively local.

Lets start all over.

1) Exactly where are you located (city or town)

2) What stage are you in your build?

3) What have you located and what are you still looking for?
              Last edited by Mingy; 09-15-2012, 07:58 AM.

Comment

1) I am located in Windsor, Ontario.

2) Haven't started yet... Collecting stuff to begin.

3) I have located refractory bricks @ 1.98 each at Patene Building supply. But, I am looking for a better price. That is why I am asking others what they have found.

Thank you so much for any information you can give me!!!!

Comment

The good thing with Windsor is you are spitting distance from whats left of Detroit. Also, Windsor is a big enough city that you are bound to find some other choices. Have you talked to any bricklayers? They often repair chimneys and wood ovens and they should know good sources of supply. You might look up refractory construction services on Google I found a guy not far away who built commercial boilers, ovens, etc., and he was happy to let me buy stuff from him (though I ended up with Alphatherm). Finally you could look up pottery suppliers. A search of Refractory Supplies or Refractory Services Detoit or Windsor should do it.

One thing with bricks is there are different qualities. So I got most all of mine from Alphatherm but I bought some from a local building supply place (Hamilton Builders Supply) and you could tell there was a significant difference in quality. I don't recall the prices (I'll see if I can find them) or the name of the manufacturer. I'll take a look at the few spare bricks I have in the morning.

The mortar is very important as well. The stuff is expensive as hell ($90 per bag). I used the dry mix because I figure that anything which comes liquid could turn liquid again if it gets wet if it rains before you get the roof up. The dry stuff set up really fast which is good and bad: it means you can put more bricks without waiting too long, however, you have to make it in small batches (a couple liter at a time) or you'll throw a lot out.

The insulation board and ceramic wool is the hardest thing to find, but you can probably get it shipped for not too much money because its not that heavy. Again, I got mine from Alphatherm but I discovered a local pottery place could get it for me. I wrapped the wool around the dome with chicken wire to keep it in place then applied insulating concrete (which I think you can make with mortar and vermiculite) Vermiculite is easy to get (Pantene should have it) and, for good measure, I wrapped the dome in rock wool insulation from Home Depot.

I'll try find my Alphatherm receipts and post tomorrow.

Comment

OK I got
                    6 bags castable insulating mortar @ $40
                    250 Alsey Refractory Bricks (100 straights, 75 #1 arch, 75 #2 arch) @ $2.75
                    5 bags refractory mortar @$90
                    KFAC Insulating board $125
                    50 sq ft 1" insulating blanket $137.50
                    1 bag fireclay 50 lbs $17.84.

Total $1,870

I don't think Alphatherm is the cheapest but they do carry real high quality stuff (like I said there was a big difference in the firebrick.

You might call up Alsey (Firebrick, Fireplace Mortar, Refractory Castable and Firebrick Stain and High Duty Refractory Supplies.) and ask them if they have a local distributor.

Comment

Thank you so much for the information. It will be of immense help!!

Comment

Jimney, I'm also in Windsor and thinking about building an oven, how did you make out with your material search?

Comment

Patene has the bricks for $2@, mortar at menards in the states for $55 a bag. Hope this helps? Let me know what you've found!
                          Last edited by Jimney; 04-02-2013, 04:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

By the way I figured out the search thing. I wasn't signed in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mingy View Post
                              OK I got
                              6 bags castable insulating mortar @ $40
                              250 Alsey Refractory Bricks (100 straights, 75 #1 arch, 75 #2 arch) @ $2.75
                              5 bags refractory mortar @$90
                              KFAC Insulating board $125
                              50 sq ft 1" insulating blanket $137.50
                              1 bag fireclay 50 lbs $17.84.

Total $1,870

I don't think Alphatherm is the cheapest but they do carry real high quality stuff (like I said there was a big difference in the firebrick.

You might call up Alsey (Firebrick, Fireplace Mortar, Refractory Castable and Firebrick Stain and High Duty Refractory Supplies.) and ask them if they have a local distributor.
                              How big is your oven?

Comment

Great thread...thx. I'm north of Edmonton ab. Hard time finding fire brick period. Going to Rona next......

Comment

Working...
                                X