X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aussie Readers

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
    John,

How far have you got with your build? Have you decieded on what type of bricks, mortar, insulation etc to use yet?

I haven't started investigating prices or made the final decision on these things for my oven yet as I have only just started the foundation slab. If you have found any good suppliers I would be interested to know.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I have only just started laying my isulation bricks on my hearth so am not too far into the project I have begun a thread that can be located at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

I notice you are from Newcastle so my supplier will be a bit of a hike for you.
    You can check them out at Field Furnace Refractories

They offer a package for a 1 meter internal oven at a cost of AUD $1,300.00

Quantity Description Unit price Total
    120 Fire brick. 230x 115x 75mm $3.30 $396.00
    12 Floor tile 50 x 300 x 300mm $14.90 $178.80
    5 High temperature mortar 25kg bag $33.00 $165.00
    48 Insulation brick I.F.B 230x115x75mm $3.30 $158.40
    2 Ceramic fibre roll 25x600x7200mm $110.00 $220.00
    14 Door arch brick 230x115x75/S1mm $3.70 $51.80
    10 Flue arch brick 345 x 115 x 75/63mm $6.00 $60.00
    8 Flue arch brick 345x115x75/51mm $6.00 $48.00
    4 Flue brick 345x115x75mm $6.00 $24.00
    Total AUD $1,302.00
    3 Vermiculite (If required)100litre bags 6kg $28.60 $85.80

For a 42 inch oven I will use about 70-80 insulation bricks
    I am also going to lay the fire bricks for my floor rather than the Floor tiles so the cost just keeps on going up!!

Good luck !!
    John

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...-wfo-7911.html

The difference between a successful person and others is not the lack of strength, nor the lack of knowledge… but rather, the lack of will power.

Comment

Brissy here, Am trying to put mine up as worklog but doesnt seem to be moderated of something? Got one post there.... watch that space.

Comment

John,

Thanks for the info. Even if they don't deliver to Newcastle for a reasonable cost it may be worth the trip to go and collect all the materials needed from one location.

Paul
        Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
        (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

We might have more Australians on this site than Americans.

Comment

Hi all! This is my first post. I need a flue for my oven, does anyone know of anywhere in Victoria that sells terracotta chimneys? I want stainless but the wife wants terracotta. My base is built and my dome is complete today, just need flue and then insulation will go on. Thanks for any ideas.

Comment

Neil2,
              I am running a list of Aussies on the forum over the years and I can make 92 all up now. (91 if we don't count Hendo).
              Not sure how many Americans or Canadians, but I think we might have the most contributing members at present.

Chiliboy,
              I haven't seen anything around unless you can find a couple of old terracotto sewer popes.
              I'd go for the stainless myself (as I did).

Rastys
              Last edited by Rastys; 09-22-2009, 04:36 AM.
              If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

Ok, I don't know if I've been counted, so I'm putting my hand up to make sure I get marked down as another Aussie. Just started my sourdough starter today so baking some bread is not far away. Has anyone in melbourne found a good place for all supplies for bread? I'm talkng flour, baskets and bannetons etc.

Also, any readers who are thinking and umming and ahhing about whether to build an oven, just do it! You will not regret it. If you want some advice or help, pm me and Ill endevour to help out. I also have a bricksaw which I wanna get rid of if anyone is interested.....

Comment

Yes waitingtocook
                  I have you on my list along with 16 others who have listed Melbourne as their chome location and another 2 from Ballarat.
                  I also have 20 from Adelaide and the Adelaide Hills, 10 from Sydney, 2 from Perth, 5 in Queensland and 16 listing Australia and the remainder from different towns/locations around this wonderful country.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi all,
                    I'm from up in the deep north, almost a separate country. There's a fair bit of interest in wood ovens up here, lots of folk cook outdoors, especially in the dry season when it doesn't rain for months.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ah yes David, but when it rains, it buckets down.
                      Was it you who was emptying their rain gauge out 3 times a day a few months ago?

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Yeah thats me, It's a flood or a drought here.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

hi all this is my first post from the sunshine coast hinterland,I am going to build a WFO but have no idea which one to build.I have been in the building industry rendering, tiling,concreting,bricklaying for 20+years.Could somebody point me in the right direction re plans & materials, regards Mark

Comment

G'day Mark, have you decided to go for a brick or castable dome? Forno Bravo have the Pompei plans on the website. I think you have to order it as though you were ordering other products from their online store but there is no charge for the plans. The plans contain all the background info you'll need to understand how the ovens work. They explain why certain materials are used for specific parts of the oven and how to go about it. All you need to decide is what type of oven you want, the size and the material for the oven internals ie firebrick or castable. There is a castable thread you can check out:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/c...tory-5669.html

Of course there is a wealth of information and examples on brick ovens as well. There appear to be pros and cons with both methods so eventually you will have to decide which way to go. Personally I and a group of mates have decided to go the castable method. We have got it down to a fine art. The last dome we built just Sunday gone took less than two hours to cast.
                            Good luck.
                            Mr G

Comment

And welcome aboard Kram, I have just put you on the list of participating Aussies in this forum, around 119 all up!
                              you now have decision after decision to make.
                              There are a host of oven options open to you. The Pompeii is the cheapest (and in my opinion) the best, especially for someone with your experience and talents.
                              You can use the more expensive firebricks, OR as some others have done, use either solid fired clay pavers or the hard klinker (those bricks closest to the heat when fired in the old wood kilns), solid red bricks. providing the bricks break and not crumble when hammered, then they will stand up to the usual 500˚C that you will get your oven to and use.
                              The poor mans mortar is also a good alternative but don't skimp on the insulation! Vital to save on your heating costs and also heat retention for baking. One fire can last for a couple of days of cooking, albeit at reducing oven temperatures.
                              Read, read some more, get totally confused, ask some questions and get into it.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm getting close to starting my brick oven in Adelaide. I'm planning on an igloo style with old house bricks and a couple of benches either side, hopefully it will work out ok. I think I understand most things, though one area where I'm having trouble is the igloo insulation. I see people talking about it all the time, though I've never seen anyone explain _how_ they make the vermiculite layer on the very top; how do you mix it with the cement? What is the ratio of vermiculite/sand/cement?

Cheers,

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                                X