Aussie Readers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aussie Readers

You want enough cement in the mix so it will be hard enough to render onto, but the more cement you use the worse the insulating performance will be. I use 10 parts vermiculite, 1 part cement, 3 parts water (by volume) You'll think "this'll never work," but it does. Mix it dry in a large bucket before adding the water.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Is 120 a crowd?
      Have Just started on my oven. Turned first soil yesterday.
      Im based in Tannum Sands, Queensland.
      Still a long way to go but the adventure has to start somewhere. The plan is for a 42" Tuscan. Hopefully I can add some value to the Aussie Forum over the coming months.
      My Photo Album
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...adventure.html

Comment

Errol Greiner Hervey Bay just signed up today 29 Oct 2009

Comment

My oven is designed to crack over the first 8 firings and the gaps are then filled with vermiculite concrete then rendered again

Comment

Another One!
            Adelaide based but will build my WFO in Robe this Xmas Holidays
            hope to engage with you all with some questions as I get my planning underway...

I plan to build a 110cm (44") internal dome
            planning on using appropriate bricks for the dome
            perhaps firebricks for Floor ? $6! each from Littlehampton Bricks (approx $200)
            Natural Limestone rocks & cement for the base (Free! from friends farm)
            might leave a wood storage area underneath
            A hot gal dipped steel door arch ( near sea so rust is an issue) and a local Robe site does this type of work
            a hot gal dipped steel chimney with Stainless Flue
            (Any guidance on flue suppliers near Adelaide?)
            Insulated - Perlite/vermiculite, wasnt going for a blanket - ?? any thoughts on that ?
            Probably finish dome with a stone/mortar finish
            Hot dipped gal Steel double skin door with Verm/Perlite filling ?

regards Nobby

Comment

Thanks David,

I actually grew up in townsville, getting some advice from a fellow north queenslander was very nice. Thanks for your help, I might fire a few more questions your way as the build progresses.

Rob.

Originally posted by david s View Post
              You want enough cement in the mix so it will be hard enough to render onto, but the more cement you use the worse the insulating performance will be. I use 10 parts vermiculite, 1 part cement, 3 parts water (by volume) You'll think "this'll never work," but it does. Mix it dry in a large bucket before adding the water.

Comment

Welcome aboard Rob,
                the second new Adelaidian today. I have just added you to my ever growing list.
                Where abouts in Adelaide are you. You might be interested in some of the other 20 or so Adelaide based members and their ovens. You are more than welcome to come and maybe experience it at first hand.
                What are you planning and at what stage are your plans. Not too late to get it finished and going for the big Christmas day though, just get your materials organised and get into it.
                Keep us informed with your plans and plenty of pictures.

Cheers.

Neill
                Last edited by nissanneill; 11-02-2009, 03:16 AM.
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Nobby'
                  You may want to rethink the use of galv. steel for your door. Zinc is poisonous and should not be used where it faces the heat of your oven. Zinc's melting point is also around 420C . Stainless steel is a better alternative.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David
                    Thanks hadnt thought of that !
                    would be ok for chimney arch etc but not actual door?
                    not sure what temps the in that region
                    have some contacts in Stainless Steel business so might get an indicative idea on cost.. on the otherhand sounds like I should just build it out of brick..

thanks for comments and advice - appreciated
                    Nobby

Comment

Hey Neill,

Glad to be added to adelaide builder/owner list. I live in Prospect, which is north of the city. I'd love the chance to chat with other oven builders and get information and advice.

I was wondering if there might be some easy way to generate a list of the various Adelaide suppliers for all the various bits and pieces. From my limited reserach, I have the following info:
                      Red Bricks: old red brick company,
                      firebricks: littlehampton,claypave (through various outlets)
                      Fireclay: the pug mill, littlehampton
                      *refractory mortar: avero, alphacon
                      *vermiculite: avero
                      *insulating fire blanket: avero
                      flue supplies: ????

*** The lines marked with (*) are re-sellers, so it may be better to order from interstate, or go to other suppliers.
                      To answer your questions:
                      1) I'm planning an igloo brick oven, with a couple of benches either side (hopefully out of some nice salvaged jarrah from 'adelaide rural and salvage'). I'm at the planning stage. I'm not a tradie, so my practical skills are limited. For jobs like this I read a lot and research a lot before I get started. There's no way I'll get it done before christmas unfortunately.
                      2) When I do get started, I'll post pictures; no worries.

Cheers,

Rob.

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                      Welcome aboard Rob,
                      the second new Adelaidian today. I have just added you to my ever growing list.
                      Where abouts in Adelaide are you. You might be interested in some of the other 20 or so Adelaide based members and their ovens. You are more than welcome to come and maybe experience it at first hand.
                      What are you planning and at what stage are your plans. Not too late to get it finished and going for the big Christmas day though, just get your materials organised and get into it.
                      Keep us informed with your plans and plenty of pictures.

Cheers.

Neill

Comment

Rob (& Neill)
                        Great idea re list of suppliers
                        plus add approx prices??
                        even share tech specs & size etc

I would be happy to share freight / combine lots etc if needed to get in goods from interstate

Ideally support locals first but if much better deals exist or interstate is the only source... then interstate it might need to be

regards
                        Nobby

Comment

Rob and Nobby
                          I got my fireclay, superwool insualtion blanket (approx $150) and exfoliated vermiculite (around $25/100l bag) from

Thermal Ceramics Australia (Head Office & Plant)
                          10-14 Togood Avenue, Beverley
                          SA 5009 Australia
                          Tel 8243 5300
                          Fax: 8243 0571
                          Email: thermal.australia@morganplc.com

They are just around the corner from Old Red Brick Co. off Williams Street Beverley. This is where my grandparents lived when I was born and I spent many holidays in and around the pug holes of the Old red Brick Co. The wonderful house adjacent belonged to the Williams family who had most of the brick kilns and terracotta pipe and goods works. I used to play in the old abandoned pug holes.In fact, the Basketball stadium is built over one and there are still 2 remaining old brick kilns on the adjacent corner of Togood Street! An area close to my heart.

They (the delightful lady whom I can't remember her name but is exceptional in helping) used to have firebricks and all but now have rationalised. Not sure what they have but their prices were as good as anywhere.
                          I still have a 25 kg bag of fireclay that I paid $30 for 2 years ago, but you will not use a full bag, probably only 2/3 rds
                          Be careful with the bricks from Old red Brick in Williams Street Beverly, the ones I saw were crumbly and would not suit an oven. Hit them with a sledge hammer, if they shatter and crumble, forget them! They should be high fired, hard and break in halves or large pieces.
                          For what they cost, Littlehmpton 4" fired clay pavers are the way to go but if you can get other fired clay pavers for free, then try the hammer test and build it even cheaper.
                          Forget about the high temp refractory mortar unless you can steal it, use 1pt portland, 1pt fireclay, 1pt hydrated lime and 3 pts brickie sand. A great sticky and cheap alternative! No cracks in over 2 years use. Can other members who have used other 'refractory mortar or adhesive' make that same claim? I believe in the KISS principle, and this certainly meets that bill.
                          Your vermiculite cement insulation under your hearth is cheap and efficient and a good base to build your dome on if mixed properly.
                          You might get a slightly better price interstate but don't forget to add the freight. You should be able to get all materials for under $1000 for an exceptional oven, maybe as low as $500.
                          Littlehmpton fireclay is poisonous pricing, they can't/won't tell you the content of their firebricks and I feel they are mainly for open fireplaces built into homes rather than WFO's.
                          flues from bbq's Galore (or similar heater supplier) or I got my galv flues from Ultimate heaters, Main North Rd Blair Athol $30 each.
                          Until Jsmes gets a FB agent/distributor here in Australia, go for what you can get without paying a fortune. The money saved will help to build (or at least start) your outdoor kitchen or finish tour oven prep area.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hey Neill,

A great post! Thanks for that.

I'm adding all this info to a document I'm building, by the end I reckon it will be pretty useful. As Nobby said, I'll put price guides in if I can.

One thing to note however is the ultimate heater shop has closed, it's now a pet food shop. No biggie, as Neill suggested (and I didn't know this), it seems any bbq/heater shop will do for flue supplies.

Cheers,

Rob.

Comment

That's right Rob,
                              they did go bust last year but then, as a lot of business seem to go out here, they re-open with a different name, but same location(s) and I thought I saw an advert on TV where they went into air conditioning as well (apparently the wood heaters and bbq's and then outdoor furniture etc. were not sufficient to keep them afloat year round). There are others around, the Gas shops, some larger hardware stores who sell space heaters etc.

Cheers

Neill

PS. Hopefully James reads this and may I suggest that we generate another 'category', for sources of materials, maybe one post for each country and FB as a 'Sticky' for those that they are represented in.
                              I for one, really appreciate James, this forum, the members and information available and as James claims that their new products and kits are very competitive, then I feel that new members would support him and FB much better.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Go the Aussies and special mention the the Adelaide guys,

I'm just about the launch into my WFO project, I've been sourcing material suppliers and pricing just to see what the $$$ might be at the end, this should keep the Finance Director happy. With some cooler days in the forecast I'll be pegging the area out over the weekend.

I've picked up some great hints and tip from FB already, thanks to all who have posted.

Progress reports to follow.

Russ

Russ

Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X