Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WFO Progressing Nicely, but Help Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WFO Progressing Nicely, but Help Needed.

Jeff, you still got burnt! Darleys charged mer $120 for the same roll of blanket -- which BTW wasn't nearly enough for two layers! - and I bought another carton of Kaowool blanket with almost the same specs from Field Furnace Refractories in Sydney for about $A80, if I remember correctly (it isn't singled out in my spreadsheet, sorry)...

Cheers,

LMH
    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Hi Carl,
      The slabs are supported on a brick wall at the back of the platform and on the 3" timber at the front. The timbers are then on 3" lega at 450mm intervals, so I think it will be ok. famous last words?? The base of the oven,ie the bit the fire will be on is made from fire bricks from a night storage heater and this in turn is on 65mm of celotex insulation so I'm hoping that the slabs will barely get warm. I really love the construction process so if I have to rebuild at some point in the future I won't be too upset. I always think of better ways to do things just aftre i've done them so the next one will be better than the last.
      I have just bought 2 100ltr bags of vermiculite from Jewsons for £8.50 a bag +vat.
      It's great to find another WFO in the UK. What is your oven like? Any photo's?
      Cheers Carl, good to hear from you.
      Nick

Comment

Frances,
        What sort of rockwool did you use and how did you use it?
        Cheers
        Nick

Comment

G'day Builders. Nice to read your progress/problem reports. Special thanks for replies/responses.
          Nick I guess I would have used 'rockwool' also. Unfortunately our surplus ceiling insulation is a wool/poly blend. Hmmm..I think not.

Carioca, I got burnt indeed! Third degree eh.
          Usually I sus prices out, but frustration with local blanks caused me to jump without looking re ceramic blanket . (Living in the sticks does have it's downsides: just hope the IR thermometer is at the P.O. when we go to town tomorrow).(It's a TN408LC, $98.Pouch,$12.Thepromkpn probe,$55, all plus gst. Postage $20. Hope the burns don't go too deep on this one!)]

Enough dribble from the Luddite,
          Jeff.

Comment

Hi Nick,
            this is where I wrote about the stonewool.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/i...wool-2967.html

The overwhealming response I got to this post makes me think that maybe not many oven builders on this forum have used stonewool products so far...

A guy from the Flumroc company actually came round to see what I was using it for and recommended this product, which is usually used for insulation round furnace chimneys and things like that. As I said, so far its working fine. I'll be able to tell you more about its long-term properties in a couple of years time
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
            X