Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Type of Sand for Home Brew, suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Sand for Home Brew, suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	428873 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	428872 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	428870 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	428871 Well this is my first post. I am from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. Like others I have been reading as much as I can on this forum for about a year or so. I am building a 39 inch oven. I am up to the point where I am laying my first course of half soldiers. I understand I should use silica sand. I bought two bags both silica one says for pools and another says 30mesh. The 30mesh has quite a bit smaller grains see attached pict. Is one better maybe mix them? I have read so much on cracking wondering if the size sand could help/hurt?
    Thank you so much
    Rick
    Attached Files

RickJay, welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to the Newbe forum since the ask me anything was supposed to be "Reserved for scheduled live interactive sessions with industry experts."
    What part of the Valley are you from? I went to Pacoima Jr High and then on to Poly. I also built a 39" oven - it's a great size. I had some all purpose sand that had some big grains so I switched to #30 "silica" sand (had to go back to my build thread to refresh my memory) based on forum recommendations. If you go to my build and search for "sand" you can see the advice I got.
    Last edited by JRPizza; 08-26-2020, 07:49 PM.
    My build thread
    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

You can't go wrong with masons sand which you can get at home depot. Pool sand is just that, made for pool sand filters.

Ricky
      My Build Pictures
      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Working...
      X