Planning stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning stage

Hi all, I am in the planning stage, have over 500 red clay old bricks salvaged from a fireplace. In addition to 70 fire bricks. ( tan)
    I am thinking of building oven body from red clay bricks and saving the tan firebricks for the cooking surface floor. I got the insulation blanket, insulation boards. A friend gave me 2 boxes of soft castable bricks. ( 50 pound each.)

I appreciate tips and advices thank you

Hi Dal,

Welcome to the forum. My advice for you is to download the Forno Bravo Pompeii Oven eBook . There is a chapter in it detailing what types of brick are suitable. Also, use the search function on the site. There are many threads where the subject comes up of taking the risk of using non-firebrick. Many red clay types will not survive the continous cycling of being heated to pizza temps and cooling down. There is a lot of work that goes into building a masonry oven. I's a bummer if they don't last very long. There are other uses for which that you can use the old brick. Most reclaimed brick can make a beautiful finished look for an oven.
    Last edited by Gulf; 12-20-2020, 03:58 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank you, for your response. I appreciate the advice. I live New Jersey and shopping around for firebricks on a budget. The nearest I can get is like 200 miles drive. Anyone in Jersey the can give ideas about getting firebricks.

Comment

Do a search for local brick and lumber yards. Those that sell to contractors and masons. They ae normally more reasonably priced. That should give you some numbers to call. If the business labels their business as a "firplace store", they are usually more expensive.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Lowe’s sells fire bricks
          My newbie build thread: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ie-ready-to-go

Comment

Thank you. I already have all my bricks. I think some bricks have this on them ( Salina 40) and some (VFB) but I also got salvaged tan bricks withe holes and only one curved side. I wish I can post a picture. Tried but can’t.
            weather is cold and snow/ rain in New Jersey. I want to start but I heard that it’s better to wait for warmer weather for concrete foundation. Let me know if I can start it will be great .

Comment

Pics need to be 1.25 mg or less or will not post, abt 5 pics per post can be attached. Most pics on phones these days will need to be reduced in size. Also, bricks with holes in them are not typically fire brick.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I am still having trouble, but I think I shared with you .

Comment

I got some concrete slabs today 5.” Thick . The piece is 4’2’ each total of 8 pieces. Can I use them for the foundation? Or do you think better to use for oven base?

Comment

Update on materials. Yesterday I got two bags 4 cuf of perlite found them in indoor plant section of Home Depot. I think I am ready to start. But need answer to my previous post.
                    Last edited by Dal; 01-10-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Got the door. I don’t know I am asking a lot questions. As a woman trying to build her pizza oven I have a lot questions. So I know that the oven will have an inner arch and a outer arch as your plans recommended. But where this door goes . Inner or outer.

Comment

It goes on the inner arch behind the chimney vent. The lip on the door seat against the inner arch. Since the door is has a hinge, you will need to make sure it will open and clear the vent chamber and outer arch. One thing to consider/review is the door height dimension. It should be about 63-63% of the dome height for best performance (ie ID dome height 18" door height 11.7"). There is a door thread on the blog, just do a search.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you, I was confused since most of posting had solid free standing doors.

Comment

Dal, I didn't see where you mentioned what size of oven you want to build. As Russell alluded to above the oven size usually defines the door, but in your case if you want to use the door you have it will define the oven size. It would be interesting for you to post the door dimensions and what size of oven you were contemplating. Also maybe some pictures of the back side of the door so we could see the construction and how it is insulated.
                            My build thread
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Thank you for all the tips . It’s really appreciated. I can’t wait to start waiting for snow to clear. The door is 11.5x 15.5.
                              I am aiming for a big 42” cooking floor. This oven is going to have a lot of uses . Pizza, slow cooking in terracotta dishes stews , and my favorite whole lamb stuffed with rice , spices and almond. I will share recipes once I start.

Comment

Working...
                              X