How much should the oven floor extend beyond the 1st course of dome bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much should the oven floor extend beyond the 1st course of dome bricks

I plan to have about 25mm (approx 1") of oven floor beyond the outside of the 1st course of dome bricks. Is this sufficient?

Also, should the insulation extend a little beyond the oven floor. I assume the weight of the floor bricks, dome insulation and outer shell keeps the floor bricks in place.

Finally, at the front of the landing is it normal to have a border of bricks cemented to the foundation to cover the exposed insulation / floor bricks?

Should the brick floor extend beyond the dome? No, preferably the floor is trimmed to align with the outside of the first course. If the floor would stick out, then those parts would need to be insulated too, and that would be less practical.
    Should the floor insulation extend beyond the dome? Many builders extend the floor insulation so that the dome insulation (the blanket) can rest on it. The other way around also works, but is a bit less practical.

Finishing the front of the landing: There's many options, I'll leave others with more experience to answer that. But you should definitely do *something* to cover exposed insulation.

Comment

IMHO, the floor bricks could be what us yanks call "proud" or extending beyond the edge of the dome especially if the oven is in an enclosure and the type of insulation you are doing. By having the floor bricks proud, the dome can sit on the floor bricks and you do not need to have the edges nearly as precise as the floor inside the dome. That said, I would not have the floor bricks extend past the floor insulation. So it depends on a lot of factors which way is best.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

I had assumed to extend the floor proud of the dome bricks to allow for expansion and also not to leave small unstable brick cuts.

I take the point regarding not extending over the insulation. I had intended to have the insulation extend a fraction to accommodate brick expansion.

Finally, at the front of the landing is it normal to have a border of bricks cemented to the foundation to cover the exposed insulation / floor bricks?

Comment

Working...
        X