Pricing firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pricing firebrick

They're either side of $2 apiece here in Northern Vermont.

Comment

I am planning on building a 42" pompeii oven as well and also got a similar price but am wondering how many did you figure you would need to build that size? wish I could find them for under a buck to but no luck here in Florida

Dezi

Comment

Hi Dezi,
        I got 200 secondhand fire bricks for my 40" Pompeii and still have over 50 left. I did however use my left over house and retaining wall bricks for the vent and some tapered pavers for my front arch.
        I would recon if you were planning on a half brick dome thickness and not cutting every brick with a perfect taper, then 160 bricks will do your oven dome and doorway arch.
        Others may chime in who have built their 42" but it is only 1" bigger diameter than mine.
        Check out my build to see.

Cheers.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Can't really help on a 42", I only did a 36", for which I purchased 215 bricks and (I believe) have 6 left over.

Dezi, where in FL?
          Currently we have members in Tampa, Jax, and south FL with builds underway (and a few others who have built but are no longer active on the forum). I'm just outside Tampa in Pinellas county (near Clearwater, Palm Harbor).

RT

Comment

Hi Desi,
            We got a cube of 500 delivered (which was nice) for 546$. The plan is to eventually do an outdoor fireplace so we were stockpiling. Kind of bummed that the rain has kept us from getting much done over the long weekend.
            Bonita
            Bonita

Comment

my 42" was finished with 240 to 270 bricks(it depends on how much you waste and how you cut them)...but i also lost count, i did build my chimney with them as well.

Comment

I called 16 masonry suppliers in the Washington, DC area. L.C. Smith Brick in Alexandria, Virginia had the cheapest low-duty firebricks in the area: $1.10/each. Unfortunately they did not have Heatstop...

Comment

$1.10 sounds like a pretty good price. I have found them in Dallas for 1.20. How many you need is also dependent on how you are going to cut them. If you plan on tapering the bricks to minimize the amount of mortar you have to use, you will need more bricks but less mortar. If you are just going to do half bricks with a minimum of cutting you will use fewer bricks but a lot more mortar. Given the price of mortar versus fire bricks, I will probably do some amount of brick tapering. I am figuring on 275 firebrick for a 42" oven, but that is pretty much just a guess.

I like Bonita's idea, of just getting a whole pallet, since I am planning a fireplace too. That would also have the advantages of not having been picked over and would given you a large number to chose from when looking for those perfectly sized and flat bricks for the hearth floor.

Travis
                  TravisNTexas

Comment

I am a newbie that is about to embark on the Pompeii. I also live in San Diego where did you get your firebricks?

Comment

Mikeye, I live in North County and found them for .95 in San Juan Capistrano. Its only 25 minutes from me. RCP in Chula Vista has them but I think they are about 1.24.

Mark

Comment

Thanks I thought RCP. They give contractor pricing on alot of stuff I'll check them out

Comment

Originally posted by staestc View Post
                          $1.10 sounds like a pretty good price. I have found them in Dallas for 1.20. How many you need is also dependent on how you are going to cut them. If you plan on tapering the bricks to minimize the amount of mortar you have to use, you will need more bricks but less mortar. If you are just going to do half bricks with a minimum of cutting you will use fewer bricks but a lot more mortar. Given the price of mortar versus fire bricks, I will probably do some amount of brick tapering. I am figuring on 275 firebrick for a 42" oven, but that is pretty much just a guess.

I like Bonita's idea, of just getting a whole pallet, since I am planning a fireplace too. That would also have the advantages of not having been picked over and would given you a large number to chose from when looking for those perfectly sized and flat bricks for the hearth floor.

Travis
                          Did this. 618 bricks at $0.70 per brick. The only bad thing about a whole pallet is some will be cracked in the middle etc. The plus side is I have another 615 to choose from... Also transporting 618 bricks sucked! I did it all in the back if my nissan titan, hand loaded them one by one into truck in about 5 loads. Took about 4 hours for all trips, load, unloading, and purchase. 150 delivery fee scared me off. Bricks were in Round Rock, TX.

Comment

does anyone know of a good source in northern california(sacramento)?
                            -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Check out the dealer locator on Superior Clay's website. It lists several options for Northern California.

Comment

thanks for the lead... I'll check those out.
                                -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

Working...
                                X