Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Design

I'll be honest,
    I don't feel comfortable doing all that work and then finding out that i have badly mixed the concrete, made a mistake with the rebar, or poured it badly. Then the entire WFO is in jeopardy. If I am right about this, then I know that the oven base will be sound and my work on the oven itself is safe. I am just worried about the lifespan of the cedar (free to me), and how to adhere masonry to the surface of the wood (bad effects of mortar?).

Also, I purchased and watched a video about oven building in the South Tirol. I will not name the source of the video here as I believe the producers of it have used this forum inappropriately to sell their video. The video is not a useful source for building a WFO. But it was particularly interesting for me because I have family and deep routes in the area where it is filmed. It was, therefore, very attractive to try to build an oven of similar design. My own Tiroler B?ckofen, if you will.

I had seen ovens of this variety and had never before understood why there was a line of wood that jutted out from the sides. These turned out to be the beams. My guess is that they are using extremely durable hardwood beams.

I don't have access or money for those, but I do have all of these cedar beams that I can use. But will the mortar stick to them? What happens if they expand? Should I cover them with vermiculite concrete? Will they last very long if exposed to portland cement or water? I just need to find these thing out and then I'm off and running.

TB

Comment

TB,
      My two cents. Beyond the strength issue, I too would be concerned with the long term corrosiveness of any cement based material in direct contact with cedar. Yes, cedar is somewhat rot and bug resistant in its natural state; I would say long term direct contact with a caustic such as portland cement is most certainly going to lead to degradation, although it may take several-many years...I just don't know.
      A bigger concern to me would be expansion and contraction (movement) of the cedar, and for you in Chicago - freeze/thaw.
      Based on all factors, if you choose to move forward with this I would seriously consider some type of "slip plane" between the cedar 4 x 4s and the concrete above. In essence, a membrane between the two materials. What to use? I'm thinking a weather, UV, and cement impervious product, probably some type of poly sheathing. I want to stress, this is new ground for me (as well as most of this forum)....so all bets are off.....all mere speculation on my part. GOOD LUCK.

RT

Comment

TB,
        Rethinking the slip plane idea. Any kind of membrane may need to be high temp - depending on how well you insulate. Another option - sheet aluminum? Just throwing things out there, hoping something sticks.

RT

Comment

I'm a little unclear about your build...but I do know that you must tar paper between the cement and the wood. Cement eats wood if in direct contact.
          sigpic

Comment

While I have some people reading this, I should also ask, if I have a maximum depth of 33" and maximum width of 35", should I bother building the pompei, or a rectangular oven. If yes to rectangular barrel vault, then can I make it wider than deep? Will this prove bad for airflow?

TB

Comment

Working...
            X