Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

starting my clay oven.....................or maybe not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: starting my clay oven.....................or maybe not.

Originally posted by Mickey-t View Post
    Haven't checked out the site for a while....too busy cooking pizza.

If anyone in Perth needs ball clay. There is a pottery supplier in O'Connor that stocks it. They are in Yellow Pages and they are the only supplier in Perth (to my knowledge). You will need two large bags (you'll use a bag and half)

I ended up using 8 bags of Perlite, available at hydroponic suppliers.

I've built two of these ovens now, and would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck.
    I think you will find Sila Australia in Perth also sells ball clay.0894553133

Comment

Hi Mickey -t
      That's an expensive way of obtaining clay and although much of Perth is on sand you shouldn't have to go far to find a satifactory source of natural clay.
      Having conducted workshops over most of Australia there has never been an occasion where I couldn't find suitable clay within a few kilometres/miles from the venue.
      You don't need a great amount when mixed with equal parts of sand and stonedust [plus 10% cement] so investigate roadside cuttings, riverbanks, excavations, quarries or ask dam builders or fencing contractors.

Good hunting and building.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood fired oven workshops View Post
        Hi Mickey -t
        That's an expensive way of obtaining clay and although much of Perth is on sand you shouldn't have to go far to find a satifactory source of natural clay.
        I suppose you are correct there mate.

we do have clay in the hill regions of Perth, but I wouldn't know whether it was the "right" clay, and wouldn't want to take the chance.

I was more than happy to pay the $45 per bag for the ball clay, which I knew would do the job.

But, it is there to be found in Perth if you have the time/inclination.

Comment

Hi Mickey t,

The best method of testing a natural clay is to sieve about a cup full of the bone dry clay through a kitchen sieve [you don't have to go that fine once you have located a good source - about 10 mm mesh is fine].
          Slowly add water to the clay, mixing as you go, until you have a pliable clay that can be rolled in your hand without stickyness - your hand will be relatively clean . it's very easy to over wet the clay so roll the excessively wet clay in the dry clay powder [as you would with dough] until it stiffens.
          Roll a pencil thickness short 'rope' and try looping it around your thumb.
          If it bends around the thumb without cracking you have a very plasic clay.
          If it cracks a little but holds together then it is semi plastic. If it cracks and falls apart you have a short clay.
          You can also try dropping a golf ball shape of clay from shoulder height to solid ground. If it remains intact it is very plastic, if it splits only then it is semi plastic but if it breaks apart it is too short.
          If you work on the basis of adding equal parts of sand and stone dust to a very plastic clay plus 10% of cement you should have a good mix.
          If it is semi plastic use less of the sand and stonedust.
          If you are jibbed by good citizens for taking the clay from the roadside you are either a university geology student doing research for your Masters or you are from the Roads Board just doing tests for the new freeway - you then shouldn't have any more hassels as they rush for their phone!

Comment

Working...
          X