Eric's WFO build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eric's WFO build

Thanks for the heads up Neil. Do I cut the surface construction joint along the line of the main slab? I am learning new stuff everyday with this project.

Eric

Comment

hey eric,,
      Neil brings up a good point... here's a good link to help you out,, and it explains way better than I can

Cheers
      MarkConcrete Joints - Types, Placing Tips & Appearance Concerns with Construction Joints - The Concrete Network

Comment

Yes - that is where you want it. I would also suggest using a skill saw with a masonry blade. It will be a little easier to control then an angle grinder. Great suggestion though, you always want to control the cracks.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les and Neil. I have a circular saw and can get a masonry blade( I probably should own a masonry blade- can't have too many tools), that sounds much easier than the angle grinder.
          E

Comment

Eric
            Looks like a great start. You will want to take a lot of pictures, it will help as folks ask how you did it. and besides, we like to live vicariously.
            regards
            greg
            Greg Geisen
            Chula Vista, CA

Click to see my Thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...iego-6169.html

Click to see Google web album:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/gpgeisen...eat=directlink

Comment

Here is progress to date. I miscalculated how many blocks I would need so off to RCP for half a dozen more. I'll put the angle iron under the top row and bridge the openings. That and cut the construction joints. Then it is on to pouring the structural and insulating layers.

Thanks for all the advice

Eric
              Last edited by eprante; 11-23-2009, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Looks good, I like the two openings for storage.
                What will you use for your insulation? I'm thinking either perlite or vermiculite as they are much less than the foam board.
                I was hoping to pour my slab yesterday, but it rained all day. I hope it get it done tomorrow. How long do you think it will take to build yours?

Tom
                Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Tom,
                  I am planning on using Vermiculite. I hope to form an island in the middle of the structural slab/ front landing for the insulating layer so I only have to do 2 concrete pours.
                  Eric

Comment

Hey Eric,

Glad to see you moving so fast... Keep going

Cheers
                    mark

Comment

Hey Eric, I've missed your entire thread from last month. Didn't know you started! Looks really good. The whole layout and location seems like a nice spot for hanging out, cooking pizza and drinking wine. Can't wait to see it progress.

Take care, Dino
                      "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino,

I haven't been able to get any more done since the last pictures with Thanksgiving and uncertain weather ( I know, I live in San Diego, but it is threatening rain). I covered up all the concrete for the structural layer so I don't have 1.5 tons of trash to throw out.

This is how warped this project makes you. We were invited Idyllwild for the weekend after Thanksgiving and the first thing I thought was- I was going to make some good progress this weekend. So I had to suffer through a weekend in the mountains with 6" of snow and good friends, food and wine. My wife Cathy has started referring to the oven as my mistress.

Eric

Comment

Finally, I am back to work. I made some good progress this weekend. Hopefully will pour the structural slab and insulating slab next weekend. I hope I can get the pictures to upload. I have this byzantine process where I take the pic with my phone, email it to myself and then upload it from there.
                          E

Comment

Glad to see you back at it. Hope you get it poured before it rains again.

Tom
                            Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

Hello,
                              I was able to pour the structural slab yesterday. Nothing fell down overnight so I am pleased. I hoped to remove the framing for the insulating layer before it got hard but timing meant I would have been doing it in the middle of the night, don't think the neighbors would have appreciated that. It is going to be harder to remove now, but I will wait until everything is set up and then pry it out.

Vermiculite question: in pictures of others using vermiculite it looked like the vermiculite is the size of Rice Krispies. At Home Depot today I found vermiculite but it appeared to be much smaller grains, almost like coarse sand in size. Is that size OK to use for the insulating hearth with Portland cement?

It is hard to believe that I am almost ready to actually start building my oven instead of preparing to build my oven. At this point I think Greg Geisen had it exactly right having his contractor build the stand and slab. I am glad to be near the end of this phase.

Eric

Comment

We used perlite, but I definitely would not use anything as fine as you describe there. I think you'll end-up with a lot more cement in there that will defy the insulation properties you're after. Keep looking for bigger stuff.

It's great to see you moving like this. We had a lot of fun building ours. You're definitely past the heaviest grunt-work!

Ken Morgan

Comment

Working...
                                X