• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36'' or 42" oven?

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
    nope - it's presented in centimeters.

Even though those cm equate to an inch measurement,
    That's only because it's expensive to build 1 size for Luddites and one size for everyone else

I mean no self respecting Luddite is going to buy a 39 1/64" tv

I also find it funny that imperial background people weigh water and present it in grams.

Not that there's anything wrong with Inches...but why work with fractions if you don't have to?

My apology. My statement was too general! When I was helping my German girlfriend pick out a TV in Bochum last year, the one's in the stores had them listed by "Zoll," or inches. I couldn't believe it. She bought a 40 inch that was on sale.

Back to the thread--I recommend moderation. If you have huge oven at full temp, I think you would be firing pizzas out like a machine gun. Seems hectic to me.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

Having a slightly larger oven means you can shoot out a lot of pizzas -- but you don't have to. :-)

Q: Why did you make 100 pizzas for a party of 20?
      A: My oven made me do it.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Alter ego View Post
        I just knew that there would be a strong resistance to my metric mutiny from our American cousins.

I will concede that metric division of pizza doesn't really work as you would normally cut into 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc and not into 0.1 of a pizza

Paul
        If metric is the way, why is time not measured that way ? Could it be that some things in nature just were not meant to be in a base 10 system ? Measurement in a base ten does not seem to exercise the mind as well.

Comment

Going back to the idea that the Hubble Telescope was out of focus because of a bad mix of inches and metric reminds me of a story.

Jim H, who built the first Pompeii Oven quite a few years ago always used to say -- relax, it's a brick oven. It isn't rocket science.

It feels like we are coming full cycle. Maybe it is rocket science. :-)

James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Taking the Hubble analogy one step further...

I used to work for the company that screwed up the Hubble primary mirror (different division, though). Yeah, the mirror was out of focus, but it was PERFECTLY out of focus, hence the success of the "contact lens" they used to fix it. So...

Don't worry about screwing up your oven build, it can always be fixed - all you need is a Space Shuttle and $100 million!
            Ed

Comment

Mitchamus,

Really LOL at your 11-24-09 post --- in high school we played a joke on a neighbor kid who had just bought a Kawasaki motorcycle. We told him that he needed a metric crescent (adjustable) wrench to work on it.

We also told him he needed to take some Midol if he wanted to boink his girlfriend.

He didn't seem to be opposed to either.

Unfortunately, he died a few years ago in a prison gang fight (true story). I really wonder if we had scarred him for life. Nah, that was before political correctness became the law of the land.

Comment

I used to get tickled when dealing with European customers at times because as I was lobbing out SAE dimensions and specs, I could here the sounds of a calculator going to make metric equivalents. At times I would have to allow them time to catch up before proceeding. Oh, and I really like the "metric" Cresent wrench tale... I'll have to try that one!

Comment

there's always the left handed screwdriver as well.

... and striped paint.
                  -------------------------------------------
                  My 2nd Build:
                  Is here

Comment

I've used the LH Screwdriver one as well as the requisition form #ID10T

Comment

Originally posted by kmckinney View Post
                      I've used the LH Screwdriver one as well as the requisition form #ID10T
                      I always enjoyed having the new-hire dishwashers go on a search for that left-handed spatula I needed and I would say "Come on, I cannot do my work without this thing, I just gave it to you 5 minutes ago. Not one was able to figure it out on their own.

Celsius V. Fahrenheit.
                      I feel that Celsius does not offer tight enough graduations for cooking and baking, 5 degrees F. can be the difference between success and failure of many things in cooking, especially when cooking beef to temp.

When using Celsius, what would a medium-rare steak need to be?? I just do not like needing to use decimal points when I can just use fahrenheit measurements

Comment

Working...
                      X