X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fxpose
    replied
    Re: Vent, Arch and landing materials

Has anyone used a large terra cotta pot for the vent? I was thinking about casting a semi-circular vent but I think a cheaper and an easier alternative would be to use a large clay planter bowl, inverted and cut to fit above the oven entry. A 6" stove pipe would slip into this vent. My original plan was to use the metal dome lid from my old Weber bbq.

I'm curious if anyone has done this and how it's holding up.

George
    Last edited by fxpose; 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I just went and took some measurements. Mine is 4" thick and begins 9" out from the inner arch. Yours looks like it will be much closer to the heat, so I do not think adding fire clay would hurt.
    I have a follow-up question regarding using home brew mortar as landing material right up against the oven floor.
    Can I add Quikrete's charcoal color pigment to this homebrew? Do you think the high heat would have any effect on this home brew composition?
    Would it also be a good idea to add small broken bits and chunks of firebrick as aggregate in addition to sand in the mixture?

George

Leave a comment:

• John K
    replied

Originally posted by wemme View Post
    ok granted that Insulting bricks are too soft.

So Dense Fire bricks it is !
    but can a clays be used in vent wall and arch or only on the front arch as decorative cladding? surly if you *can* use red brick in the dome (yes i know its not best/recommended) it would be alright up front.
    I used a similar solid pressed brick too. It gives a great contrast against the standard fire bricks. Unfortunately I haven't finished the oven yet so cannot confirm durability yet!!

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

I just went and took some measurements. Mine is 4" thick and begins 9" out from the inner arch. Yours looks like it will be much closer to the heat, so I do not think adding fire clay would hurt.
    Thanks again. I would definitely use homebrew in this case.

George

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

If it is runny enough to be poured, it will probably crack. Make it as dry as possible and it should be fine.
    Thanks!! I'll use mortar and cure it properly.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

If it is runny enough to be poured, it will probably crack. Make it as dry as possible and it should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

I poured right up against on mine. I did not use concrete, I used plain mortar, the same mortar I laid the black brick with, on the theory that the aggregate in concrete mix might have a different rate of expansion than the rest of the concrete. The highest temp I have registered on the landing is less than 300 degrees FYI.
    Then would it be all right to use mortar or homebrew mortar even though my landing will be 5.5" thick (3" board + 2.5" firebrick)? Can mortar be poured that thick and not crack?

George

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I poured right up against on mine. I did not use concrete, I used plain mortar, the same mortar I laid the black brick with, on the theory that the aggregate in concrete mix might have a different rate of expansion than the rest of the concrete. The highest temp I have registered on the landing is less than 300 degrees FYI.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Hi, I have a few questions and I've included a photo.

I plan to use polished concrete in the landing area directly under the flue and right up against the oven floor. Can I pour concrete (without bonding) right up against the firebricks? Or should I create a narrow thermal break between the concrete and the firebricks? If so, how?

Can I use ordinary concrete mix or countertop concrete mix for this landing area? If so, does adding fireclay to the mix help? How about using castable refractory and polishing that?

Thanks,
    George

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

I think you'd be fine to use red brick for sides and front of the arch. I like that look and wished I'd done that when I built my oven.

When I put a big scary fire in my oven some flame does spill out and into the chimney. If you used firebrick for the top of the arch I think you'd be quite safe.

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Firebrick only needs to be used in areas of direct flame contact.

Leave a comment:

• wemme
    replied

ok granted that Insulting bricks are too soft.

So Dense Fire bricks it is !
    but can a clays be used in vent wall and arch or only on the front arch as decorative cladding? surly if you *can* use red brick in the dome (yes i know its not best/recommended) it would be alright up front.
    Last edited by wemme; 01-01-2010, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Also why are dense fire bricks used in the vent area (OUTSIDE COOKING AREA)? I can understand the heat reasoning but wont this allow it to wick heat from the fire/cooking area of the dome to the outside? to me the ideal would be insulating fire bricks.
    Insulating fire bricks are WAY too soft to use in this high traffic area. You are going to be dragging firewood, cooking utensils, tools over this floor, and you want it to be the same material as the hearth floor. This whole area gets really hot. I wouldn't use ordinary portland mortar here, and I wouldn't use red bricks unless there was a real reason to do so.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Bart,
    no matter what and who you talk to about anything and every thing, you will hear different opinions and ideas.
    Outside of your hottest area, the dome and oven hearth, you can use different materials but they must still be suitable to withstand the conditions, heat, wear and hygiene.
    Some people even like to isolate their oven hearth/void with insulation between their landing and hearth, others don't worry unless they want max heat retention within the dome/oven.
    Provided that the material (in your case brick) is fired clay and not portland cement, it will be fine as it still gets hot but not as your hearth. These fired clay bricks/pavers are subjected to around 1200˚C during manufacture and our temps are at least below half of this.

Neill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X