Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any other South African oven builders on this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Are there any other South African oven builders on this forum?

Sounds like it's all falling into place nicely for you. The setting sounds fantastic.

When do you plan to start the build?

Better be quick if you want it ready for the World Cup!!
    / Rossco

Comment

Well if you now come to visit for the world cup, we can go out there one day and you can help me add a few bricks! As a rule I do not like Ausies (you beat us too often at sports :-)), but I'll see you as a wfo friend and not a Rugby player

Lets abuse the opportunity to invite all soccer fans to seriously consider joining us for the world cup. We are better hosts than soccer players :-) (We love Bafana Bafana but we are also realistic as to our chances)

Comment

Thanks for the offer but i will be shooting through JHB only fleetingly next month and will be gone by the time the cup happens so won't be able to build WFO, suip, eat wildebeest/biltong/wors or make a potjie with you.

Too bad, but have a dop for me anyway and get that WFO happening. Time for some action now
        / Rossco

Comment

So noted. I consider myself duly crapped out and will immediately resign my day-job to go build/play! (Ah, we may dream hey :-))

Comment

hahaha too classic!! heliman i think ur safe, only coz u are quite familiar with SA . i would love to make a venison pizza, or biltong. yum.... im dreaming of it. but it wont be done in time for world cup... sucks!!

im building for myself and people renting on our property, maybe i can raise rent 2. coz i intend on cooking huge amounts of everything

Comment

OK here is the recipe for the Boere Boytjie (credits to Phat Barry Hilton in PE)...

Biltong, bacon, salami, ham, mushrooms, onion and mixed peppers.

My wife ordered one of these and they sprinkled grated biltong on top. Bit too much topping for a decent pizza I reckon....

There really isn't that much "boere" in it and I have done some experimenting to "boererise" it by adding boerewors for starters. I am currently working on a *secret* recipe to make a "Regter Boere Boytjie" ... more will be revealed shortly! I have a group of 10 people coming around for a pizza party on 20th and I will be unveiling the new monster then. I can however say that it has no wildebeest in it.
              / Rossco

Comment

That recipe sounds amazing hay.. typical barry hilton.

love the biltong sprinkle, will definitely try that .

i also figured out the perfect sauce to go on top b4 cooking. you mix all gold tomato sauce, mrs balls chutney, worcestor sauce, garlic, a little vinegar and crushed pepper corns and bring it to a slow boil. - true boere sauce. with an italian twist. throw that on ur mega monster and it should be a killer.

im gonna hafta try barrys pizza in a normal oven in the meantime.

Comment

Today I made the door and frame which I want to build into the stand. The door will not only keep the wood dry, but will also help to keep snakes out of the wood box. It is made from broken oak wine vat lids and treated with Silkwood (a high quality oil based wood preserver)
                  The slat with the handle is not screwed down in the normal way and can slide sideways. It is therefore also the bolt of the door.

Comment

Looks very nice...

Where did you source the vat wood from?

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Stellenbosch (company I worked for had its head office there). They just couldn't get rid of all the French oak barrels and you could buy them for R5.00 (75c US). I'm sure those days are long gone though.
                    / Rossco

Comment

Especially up north they are available at nurseries and I'm sure if you shop around you can import one filled with wine for cheaper than what they charge for half barrels at the nurseries!
                      I got these from a guy who moved and left these behind for rubble removal. Have to say in his defence they must have been lying a while as they were split into slats already with the circle only in lying pattern. But being about 35mm thick, they look great after some planing. They are about 18mm now, but that's fine for my purpose :-)
                      Planer blades took a bit of a knock with the impurities, but in anticipation I replaced the usuals with old ones

Comment

I progressed a bit with the rest of the lapa/boma wall (wind enclosure with sides as per the pic) and laid the first stones to build in the wood store door.
                        As I hope you can see the oven will thus form part of the lapa wall.
                        Now for another frustrating 2 or 3 weeks of waiting before I can go on again :-(

Comment

Looking good boet - really nice African theme coming through there!!
                          / Rossco

Comment

tnx Rossco :-)

Comment

Hi there

Glad I stumbled upon this thread!

Currantly I'm in the UK, but am planning and researching to build my own WFO when I get back home in October.

The only propper WFO pizzas I have ever had was from Mimmo's. Maby I can get in there and get a look at their oven, since it belongs to my uncle...

Keep well!

Johan

Comment

Hi there

Hope all is well in SA!

I will be joining the 'WFO building club' as soon as I get back home from the UK in October.

Keep well!

Johan

Comment

Working...
                                X