Igloo style oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Igloo style oven

I built my 36 inch oven using the plans and used 4 inches of blanket and the dome has never gotten hot, not even warm except where the stucco meets the chimney. That being said, having used my oven for 8 months I would never consider having this oven indoors, not even in a garage. When I fire it up there is always a good amount of smoke and some inevitably comes out the oven door (not all smoke goes up the flue). When the fire is getting started and I need to add oxygen I use a blower (works like a charm) but there's ash and some embers that can come out the oven door. Net:net ovens need a lot of air and I would never think there would be enough free airflow indoors without opening a window or something.

Comment

Dimtex,

what size is your flue/chimney?

Marc

Comment

I have an 8 inch S/S chimney

Comment

Could be from the wind, which there would be none of inside, but it is a fair concern. Another factor, aside from flue diameter, is having a good roomy smoke chamber between the inner and outer arches, so that smoke that comes out the inner arch gets trapped in the chamber and sucked up the flue instead of wafting lazily out the outer arch.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

You are probably correct. I found the toughest part of my build was the arch and the transition, meeting point of the dome and arch. Especially when the chains start to complete towards the top of the dome. Really the only time smoke or flames might lick the outer arch is when I first light up the oven and the fatwood kindling is really burning hot and fast.

Comment

Hi,

By having a longer arch chamber will it solve inside smoke problems?
              My building where the oven goes is 14' x 26', and the roof is A-FRAME with 8' walls making the high point of roof 13' high open concept. Anybody else care to comment on inside installation and smoke issues.

Thanks,

Marc

Comment

Hi everybody,

haven't yet started my oven, still gathering materials.
                i have not been busy at work, so i'm not spending as much on the oven.
                did get ahead with the building part, but still draging due to the finances. will post pictures of building soon.

i have sourced out cheaper firebricks, how much of these are required for a 42 " dome, cooking surface, arch complete.

the plans says 65 bricks for cooking surface and 135 bricks for the dome part

is this what most 42" oven builders came up with?

thank you

marc
                Last edited by marc boulay; 01-27-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

hi everyone,

1-how many rolls of FB Blanket are required to cover a 42" dome to a thickness of 3"?

2-is there a special way to install this with the least waste?

still gathering metarials.

thanks,

marc

Comment

I don't think you will be able to control the smoke well enough to have one as an inside oven.

These things smoke a lot as they are being fired. They are not like a fireplace at all. They are designed to "hold" the smoke/fumes for optimum heat transfer.

The primary purpose of a flue on them is to divert hot gasses from your face while cooking and operating the oven. The larger commercial restaurant ones usually have an elaborate room extraction/ventilation system.
                    Last edited by Neil2; 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM.

Comment

neil,

what about if someone heats up the oven slowly and gradually with another heat source and start with a small fire?
                      my ceiling is 13' high approx., a frame style. and i am also intalling an air exghanger to help. lots of windows(to open).

marc

Comment

neil,

how many rolls of FB did you use for your built

marc

Comment

Anybody else care to comment on inside installation and smoke issues.
                          One of the advantages of an indoor installation is that to get your chimney through the roof (and two feet above it), you will have a much taller chimney than in most free standing ovens. This one factor makes the difference between an oven that smokes and one that doesn't. I suspect you will be fine on the smoke leaking issue.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

"how many rolls of FB did you use for your built"

None. My insulation layer is 4 inches of 12:1 vermicrete.

Comment

Marc,
                              I used 3 rolls of FB blanket for my 42" oven. with enough scraps left for insulation for the door. 3" of insulation will give you very good heat retention.
                              Eric

Comment

thanks everyone for helping me out.

i found this insulation material and would like to know if this would be a good product for insulating my oven. it is called ENERWRAP.

durablanket cost $132.00 per 50sq/ft, $95.00 for shipping ONTARIO to NEW BRUNSWICK. 3 rolls is over $500.00

below is from sales dept. @ ROXUL

Thank you for your inquiry about Roxul Insulation. In regards to your email, the RW series is a suitable product for your application since it is a flexible industrial blanket. Depending on your continual running temperature and the type of outer jacket of the oven will determine the density of RW you would choose. The higher the running temperature, the denser the produce should be. The RW series comes in different thickness, 2? up to 5?, 24? x 48? batts and could have a minimum order requirement. The Enerwrap is also an option for you. This product is a flexible faced industrial blanket which comes in a 1.5?,2? and 3? rolls. The Enerwrap 1.5? comes in a roll that is 36? wide and 216? long, 2? comes 36? wide and 192? long and the 3? comes 36? wide and 144? long and possibly no minimum order. It comes with either a black fibrous glass scrim or reinforced foil facing.

any comments, thanks

marc

Comment

Working...
                                X