valoriani vs. ambrogi for Neapolitan pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: valoriani vs. ambrogi for Neapolitan pizza

Uh oh; there doesn't appear to be any insulation under that oven. I'll go with shuboyje on this one:

Originally posted by shuboyje View Post
    I'd bet there are 100 who will build you a oven that doesn't work for every one who will.
    My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

I thought the same, but actually there is. you can see it in the ninth pic.

Comment

Hmm, yes, it seem they put it in after building the dome. I stand partially corrected. That's still not very good--the dome bricks sit on the concrete hearth, which will act as a heat sink and pull heat from the dome into the stand. Also, not very much insulation under the floor--assuming those are standard half bricks in the soldier coarse, the floor insulation looks to be only 1" thick. FB recommends at least 2, and a lot of people on the forum (myself included) go for 3"-4", though that might just be overkill.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyskr View Post
          Ok, so the Amborgi option just isn't an option anymore. I found out that to cover to oven with a brick house will cost me about a grand.
          Does it have to be brick? It won't look as good, but a 2 x 4 frame and plywood housing would probably run you less.

Even at $3700, I think that oven is a really good deal.

Comment

So you say the builder is not a good option?
            To me a brick oven seems much better then an oven made of a casting.

Do you think otherwise?

Comment

Assuming they have the same amount of mass (thickness of walls) and are built of the right material, my understanding is that cast vs brick dome ovens perform similarly.

The builder seems to generally know what he's doing, and I guess if you could talk him into putting the walls on the board insulation and use more of it, you'd probably get a decent oven out of it. But unless you really like brick, it wouldn't be any better an oven than the Ambrogi.

One other thought: does the $3000 quote from the builder include the exterior finish? Or just the oven and insulation? If the latter you're back in the same boat, price-wise.

Comment

So a few days ago I went and bought myself the Ambrogi oven.
                Thank to you all for your help!
                Here is a picture of the first pizza I ever made in it. Was damn tasty!

Comment

Working...
                X