Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cold WFO steam injection test

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
    That's an easy fix...get a bigger wife:-)
    She can always be: SUPER SIZED!

Comment

Looks good Faith! Pretty much what I would expect from steam based on my limited experience with steam injection at SFBI. Higher gelatinization/thicker crust/good color/more pliable skin/faster heat "contact" (steam) and better oven spring (slightly more open crumb). Somewhat subtle but has the "look"

Great concept and application of technology!

Bravo!
      Jay

PS: I agree, the grayish loaf looks like it somehow had a drier experience!
      Last edited by texassourdough; 07-01-2013, 05:52 AM. Reason: expand comments after revisiting photos

Comment

Thanks Jay, When I put the oatmeal raisin bread in the oven (bread pans) I was running the steam. I slightly over heated the oven so I was using the steam to take the bite off the heat. When I reach in to push in the pan it was a regular sauna in there.

Comment

Faith, can you give us an update on how you, the steam and bread are doing?

Thanks

Chris

Comment

I'm going to do this. I've had the turkey fryer for two years; last summer a friend gave me a spare pressure canner. I think I'll do a small hole next to the door, and a straight wand of stainless tubing (drilled along the sides, like a log lighter) to introduce the steam. Also, I wanted to bump this thread - it deserves to be seen!

Comment

Steve, Thanks for bring this back to the front.. Yep I really need to build one of these, without it the bread coming from the WFO doesn't compare to what comes from the home oven with a cloche. I'm in a bit of a bind in that I need to increase my bread production and can't do that without a bigger oven without some way to steam.. The crust is a huge part of real bread.

Thanks again Faith and Steve.

Chris

Comment

There was a bit of steam activity on the homebrew forums a couple of years ago; it seems to have faded out again. But, they've got vendors for high-temp silicone tubing, hose barbs and disconnects. I try to avoid it, but a couple of times this year I've found myself baking in the 'teens, and I want to minimize heat loss (condensation) between the cooker and the oven. The silicone seems a good way to go, maybe sleeved with open-cell foam insulation.

Comment

I'm curious too, how's the steam injector working nowadays?

I'm trying to work out a steam injector for my new "portable" oven and I've been looking at electric autoclaves, steam cleaners and spa steam generators for a solution. It seems like a high pressure steam would be the most effective and the least likely have condensed water dripping out of the end.

Do you get water condensation/drips inside the oven?

Thanks, Faith in Virginia.

Last edited by Sourdonate; 03-31-2015, 12:56 PM. Reason: Changed size of photo

Comment

I also cook in cold temps and want to reduce ''open door'' time I figure about a 5f degree loss in a moderate oven every time I open the door .. I have been [in season ] throwng handfulls of snow in , it vaporizes quickly and what does not melts and steams with the door closed . A door port for steam injection seems the way to go .

Comment

Working...
                    X