X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: From match to inferno in two minutes

Originally posted by telehort View Post
    Jim,
    I have an oven I built in my backyard as well as cater with one on a trailer in the Sacramento area. As far as air quality days, this is from the Sac county air management board website and as you see, cooking is legal even on "no burn days".

Q: Are there exemptions?
    A: The following rule exemptions apply to both Stage 1 ? No Burn and Stage 2 ? All Burning Prohibited categories:
    -Homes where wood burning is the sole source of heat
    -Financial hardship waiver approved by the Air Pollution Control Officer ? must be renewed each burn season
    -Devices that operate exclusively with natural gas or propane
    -Cooking devices
    -Ceremonial fires related to specific religious activities

Wonderful, wonderful news! Thanks for getting me past that issue!

Comment

Jim, sorry to see you leave the area! Thanks again for all the help you gave me, and good luck in the new home. I'm sure you won't be missing this glorious weather! I'd move out there in a heartbeat myself, given the chance.
      Daren
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Hey Jim,

Your video was a little sad. Especially knowing you are leaving it behind. Thanks for the tip on drying the wood.

I would be afraid to go so hot so fast here in the winter time. I usually start with a twig fire and slowly build it up.

What changes will you make on your next oven if any??

Good luck with the move,

dave
        Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
          Hey Jim,

Your video was a little sad. Especially knowing you are leaving it behind. Thanks for the tip on drying the wood.

I would be afraid to go so hot so fast here in the winter time. I usually start with a twig fire and slowly build it up.

What changes will you make on your next oven if any??

Good luck with the move,

dave

Dave, there will be two significant changes to the next oven.

First, I will use 5" of vermicucrete topped by four inches of insulation-board. The vermicucrete alone just isn't sufficient to keep major heat loss from the deck of the oven, for those who built their oven with just the vermicucrete put your infrared on the top of your wood storage area at the height of temp and you will see what I mean.

The second change will be that the final coarse of concrete brick for the foundation will be replaced with a steel structure that will be "forkliftable". I want my next build to be my last build, no matter how many moves I have left in me.

Regarding a slow heat up, I try to get it up as fast as possible summer or winter. This will be the third winter of use with some miserably cold temps in Wisconsin and it hasn't affected the oven at all. The cracks I have are the same ones that occured during the original cure and they haven't gotten any larger. As someone said somewhere on the forum, if the oven is dry (and if not you have a bunch o other problems) going from 50 to 1000 isn't that much different than going from 0 to 1000.

Thanks Dave,
          Jim

Comment

Working...
          X