Outdoor Fridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor Fridge

I have a small fridge that sits on my back patio that is always stocked with drinks, but it's not really close to my outdoor kitchen. I have fridge on my grill, but it never gets used b/c it is just too hot out there and seems like a wate of energy to run it. I am getting ready to redo my outdoor kitchen and I may incorporate an ice box into it. Seems like a simple way to keep things cool.
    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

An outdoor kitchen without a fridge is incomplete and not really a kitchen. A bit like a bathroom without bath, only a shower!
      I have a smaller 2 door fridge freezer in my outdoor kitchen as well as the Engel 39l car fridge which I use when friends bring over their drinks for a pizza.
      The larger fridge freeze holds all the dough if left overnight to proof and more importantly the toppings when prepared for putting out on the assembly bench in the bain marie trays. These are invaluable, easy to use and wash and have a transparent lid.
      If you are going to do an outdoor kitchen, you need to do it properly to get the most and best from it. It is also an investment and will encourage you to use it more.

Cheers

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I did go for an outdoor fridge that you can set temperatures for either side...great for red wine in one side and toppings or beer in the other. It is nice to have your toppings already out there before a party. I do unplug it in between events so cost of running it is low. The cost of the fridge is another thing. These units can handle the outdoor conditions and even heat to keep temperature in the winter.

Now I've to to think about putting in that sink!

Comment

What brand and where did you get the refrigerator?
          Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Its a Franklin Chef and I got it off the web somewhere. I saw it at Home depot's Expo when they were still open, but I found it for less online. Not a lot of choices for one that's outdoor rated. This one's kinda cool with glass doors and lights inside.

How's your project going?

Comment

Thanks - I'll check it out.

I have my base built and stopped to build the shade structure first. I'll start a thread soon when I actually get going on the oven.
              Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                Conversely, you could just install a true ice box. The only operating cost would be buying the ice for it. One of the new high performing coolers mounted upright with a bottom shelf to separate the ice from the food would work wonderfully - and be super easy to clean.
                Originally posted by blacknoir View Post
                Actually, a friend suggested building an ice box into the kitchen with a drain valve. That sounded like a neat idea. I'm still debating though.. sure would be nice to have that fridge.
                Originally posted by aurik View Post
                The wife and I have pretty much decided on a drop-in ice bin instead of a fridge -- figure the times we'd really use it (ie, parties, etc), we could just fill it up with a couple bags of ice and drop in a couple cases of beer and/or soda.
                Can someone post a link and/or a pic of an ice box, like the one mentioned here? Thanks
                Last edited by Brauma; 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM.
                Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Icebox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to Make an Ice Box Refrigerator | eHow.com
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                  [/CENTER]

Comment

So, are you all building plywood boxes or something a little more elaborate? I knew what an old-fashioned ice box was but I was wondering if you were talking about something nicer than a plywood box for your outdoor kitchens.

I do BBQ catering and competitions. We have two Carlisle boxes. Another brand is Cambro.

Stainless steal pans slide in on rails. Usually these boxes are used to keep food hot for hours. But they can also be used as an ice box. We will put a bag of an ice in the top tray and anything we want kept cold in lower trays.

This could be another option to keep in mind.
                    Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Can someone post a link and/or a pic of an ice box?

Do they still sell block ice?
                      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                        Do they still sell block ice?
                        Sure. Nowadays it's mostly for ice sculpting or ice shaving but it is still available.

If you can find a supplier - party shops and caterers are your best bet for knowing where to find it.

Or you can buy your own block ice maker...

Or just use 8 or 9 blue ice packs....
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                        X