Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor kitchen in Texas

DVM
    Thanks for the input. That is a good idea to support the overhang. I am trying to decide if using corbels cut from brick would support the overhang as well. I think mounting with thinset would hold them. I could use hardiboard like you did instead of OSB since it is outside. Decisions...
    What metal stakes did you use? I have only seen rebar stakes at HD.
    Tracy
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I used flat steel stakes from HD (next to the rebar). I considered corbels but I have cabinets under the island and little space. So far so good - the granite is in-tact (2 years).
      dvm
      dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
      sigpic

Comment

I would not worry too much about the heat on the ceiling...wood can take a fair bit of warmth before it will combust - as long as there are no naked flames around. You could get a sheet of thin stainless steel and fix that on the ceiling above the oven but space it off the ceiling by one inch.
        I would see what the situation is after you have had a few fires in the oven, this will give you an idea of what the risks may be?

Comment

Originally posted by tonybaker View Post
          I would not worry too much about the heat on the ceiling...wood can take a fair bit of warmth before it will combust - as long as there are no naked flames around. You could get a sheet of thin stainless steel and fix that on the ceiling above the oven but space it off the ceiling by one inch.
          I would see what the situation is after you have had a few fires in the oven, this will give you an idea of what the risks may be?
          You can use a piece of 5/8" fire core gypsum (sheetrock) for you spacer. Even 1/2" regular sheetrock would buy some time for a direct flame impingement.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

This is one fine outdoor kitchen.
            Capt. Paul
            Granite Falls WA, USA.
            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
              This is one fine outdoor kitchen.
              Thanks. Still working on the brick oven and trying to get the whole thing finished by fall. I is so nasty right now from brick dust and it looks terrible. It will clean up nicely soon and i am ready to get that brick saw out of there! I have a pergola figured out i think to complete the whole thing.
              Tracy
              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                It will clean up nicely soon and i am ready to get that brick saw out of there!
                You just wait Tracy. I am still trying to get the brick dust out of the cracks between my patio pavers! I am not sure it will ever be back to normal
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

i had it all clean, and then had to cut those bricks out last night and covered everything. The shop vac works good for me. Still have to wipe it down, but i still have concrete floors for now which makes it easier for me. Hey, but at least you aren't cutting bricks and cutting them out of your oven. You are actually using your oven! I hope the brick dust matches your pavers or maybe a nice contrast?
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

oh, it's a contrast all right. I am going to go after it with a power washer once the enclosure is done. I am putting a rock facing on my oven/bbq and figure there is still some cutting in my future.

I think I've about ruined my shop vac.

How did the arch cutting go? Did you end up where you wanted to?
                    My build progress

Comment

went pretty good, i think. It sucked though. If i could do something right the first time , i would be done. Would you mind looking at my thread and give me your opinion about using the brick in the picture C to start my arch? seems hard to get some answers sometimes, maybe i ask too many questions.
                      Texman Kitchen

Comment

Waiting on chimney pipe for oven to arrive and trying to decide igloo v. enclosed, so been working on bar top. Here are the forms i have set thus far. The bar is 15' of curve and about 2' deep. Planning for 1.5" thickness with a 2" lip to hide the 1/2" permabase layer. Using 500psi sacrete and brown color additive. Hope to pour this weekend. Still need to add rebar and inside screed edge. Looks like about 4 cu. ft. or 8 bags of 80# sac-crete. Getting great advice from Neil2. I think i will do a troweled finish instead of polished but still planning at this point.
                        Tracy
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Looks good Tracy. I want to hear all about your pour. I have to get my counters in sometime in the next month while we still have good weather and am 90% sure I am going to go with concrete.
                          My build progress

Comment

Just a suggestion, but in a 1.5" slab, you probably do not want any rebar larger than 3/8", and that is pushing it. You would do better using Maximiser concrete, fiber, and a latex bonding agent and use 3/16" horizontal reinforcing wire instead of the bar.

Comment

Tscar
                              i have 3/8" re-bar. I considered the wire, but thought since i have the 12" of overhang that the rebar would be better. I am going to set anchors into the top of the base wall that extend into the concrete pour and tie those to the rebar to try and hold the load. i really wanted 1/4" rebar, but the 3/8" is all HD had. I could add some thickness since i still need to set the rear form board, maybe 1/4" to get 1.75" thickness. What about wire lathe? good or bad for this? I will have to look for some latex bonding agent, don't think the HD or lowes had that.
                              i can still look for that size wire, any idea where to get that? Are you saying just use the wire mesh and cut to size of form? I already bought the 8 bags of sacrete after fu cheng and buddy rhodes and Neil2 advice.
                              Thanks for the suggestions!
                              Last edited by texman; 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM. Reason: add info
                              Texman Kitchen

Comment

Code is at least an inch and a half embedment for rebar, mainly for water penetration but also to allow the concrete and rebar to act as a unit. Minimum depth for normal concrete slabs is 4", so that generally is not a problem. For a 1-2" slab, the rebar is not really going to provide any strength, it will reduce it.

Use the Maximizer (5500 psi), add fibers and bonding agent and you will end up in the 7-8000 psi range. The reinforcing wire is to hold the pieces together if it cracks more than anything (and a fifteen foot section is probably going to crack on a line perpendicular to long edge near the middle).

If it were me, I would design it in 2 pieces, pour one one day the other the next, or cut a groove at least 1/2" deep into the center soon after pouring it as a single unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X