Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new patio suggestions

Originally posted by Brauma View Post
    How are posts typically anchored to an existing patio?
    When I used to build for a living, we sometimes left a piece of rebar sticking up where the middle of the post would end up and then drill a hole in the post, so it would slide over.

Other times, if the slab was already there, we would use L brackets and drill a hole in the slab with a hammerdrill and screw the L brackets to the post, and use Tapcons(blue concrete screws) to screw the other end of the bracket to the slab.
    My thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
    My costs:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
    My pics:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
      Anyway, I wonder about that kind of thing having seen what a mess it can make when the ground isn't stable enough under it.
      There is a process that the excavation contractor, paving contractor and the concrete contractor need to go through prior to sign off in each trade..this clearly was not done here. Typically the first person on site is the excavation contractor who must have a soils engineer sign off on his compaction rate.

Even before this as part of plan submittal to the County or City an soil report is sometimes required to determine how the proper compaction percentage can be achieved based on the soil make up. The site is then fortified either via natural fill or adding materials such as various aggregate mixes. This is one of the function of a soils engineer to "engineer" the soil to accommodate its usage.
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Thanks! 'Preciate it!
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
          When I used to build for a living, we sometimes left a piece of rebar sticking up where the middle of the post would end up and then drill a hole in the post, so it would slide over. <snip>
          I found the same approach used on the front porch of a house I sold about 12 years ago. The look is very clean.

When I had to replace the post, the rebar had rusted and was almost completely gone. I used the same concept on the replacement posts but, I found some scrap stainless steel rod about the same diameter and used that.

J W

Comment

Originally posted by Unofornaio View Post
            If you are speaking about filling in an area that will have concrete or pavers over it be sure to tamp this area down as you infill. a couple of inches of dirt some water to help it compact and a hand tamper or rent a vibra plate and do it all in one day. The weakest part of flat work (including pavers) will aways be the sub-straight-whats under it.

I promise you will not regret the extra time and effort to do this step.

Good luck
            Uno, I plan on doing that exactly. Right now, I have too much dirt in certain areas of the back yard, so I rototilled 4x over (clay area). Now I will move the extra over to the low section where the retaining wall exist. Then I will regrade the rest of the back. Once all dirt is in place, wet, wet, tamp. I have good old nature to help with settling too. I live in the same region as Les, where the ground has 8" of frost zone during winter. My idea is to get the dirt completed, allow settling over the winter, tamping now, and in early spring. I would then getting building on the Pizza oven/ courtyard. I will attempt to get photos over the next day to show the area of dirt and (future)courtyard. Thank you for your advice.
            An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Ive been search and searching for a pic of the outdoor kitchen that I have in mind. This pic is the closest that I can find. But it is way nicer than I have in mind. I want a cedar shake roof with the cupola. More rustic in other words. And no pergola.

Here's another question: if I want my kitchen 12x12, then I want my roof line a little wider - to over hang some. What size should roof structure be?

I guess what Im looking for is, if I install anchors in my patio at 12x12, will this line up well with the ceiling joyces/joices?
              Mark

Life is too short to drink cheap beer

Comment

Mark, I also go to Barbaque Galore forum for barbequeing, smoking (foods) and kitchen/ Island ideas/building. You should go on that site to get such information on islands. It is filled with many quality builders, such as you find here for building ovens. I have learned so much on islands, photos, correspondence, etc. Try it out.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Once all dirt is in place, wet, wet, tamp.
                  > you will have a much more stable ground if you tamp it in what we call "lifts" this is a couple of inches at a time by hand, with a machine several inches at a time. The problem with doing it after is you will always have voids that will come back to haunt you.

I have good old nature to help with settling too.
                  >this will help, but again you will end up with a much better base if you tamp it in lifts.

My idea is to get the dirt completed, allow settling over the winter, tamping now, and in early spring.
                  > this certainly will not hurt.

Did you incorporate weep holes in the retaining wall or put a French drain or gravel at the bottom to get rid of water? This is the number 1 reason for masonry/concrete retaining walls failing. remember all the water from the patio is going to have to go somewhere even if you butt straight up against the wall with the slab
                  Thank you for your advice.
                  >your welcome.
                  http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

Uno, I placed 6-8 inches gravel up retaining wall (not complete). Fabric acting as barrier to rocks and dirt. I have a perforated 3" solid tube along base of rock, several inches from wall and being covered by the rock (3/4"). I will get the tamber before competing more dirt. I have filled one foot of dirt so far, with 1ft. to 3ft. filling to go (depends on area of the slope). I was going to show some photos, but the digital memory card is full. Need to empty it to my Picasa2. If this gets done in time today, I will get a couple photos out tonight. Otherwise, snow expected tonight, showers for the morning. Photos may come later. I will likely tamp dirt Saturday. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Saturday??? It's the Homecoming game, and the first conference game - Go Pack!!!

Les...
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Les, I just thought of that too. My daughter wants to go. Looks like a busy weekend. Tamping Sunday.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Did this thread get hijacked or what? Looks like 2 threads got combined somewhere along the line.
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
                            Mark, I also go to Barbaque Galore forum for barbequeing, smoking (foods) and kitchen/ Island ideas/building. You should go on that site to get such information on islands. It is filled with many quality builders, such as you find here for building ovens. I have learned so much on islands, photos, correspondence, etc. Try it out.
                            Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look see if we have one in the Richmond area.
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Brauma View Post
                              Did this thread get hijacked or what? Looks like 2 threads got combined somewhere along the line.
                              Mark - it did (I took part), sorry about that. In regard to the beginning post - there are two facts about concrete: It WILL crack, and no one will steal it. With out reading every word on this thread, I recommend paver's; if one goes south on you, you can replace it (assuming the pattern is still available). If one sinks on you, you can lift it and add more sand - pretty good product. I just put in 1,100 foot this summer. That's in addition to what I put in a couple of years ago.

For what it's worth...

Les...
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                                Mark - it did (I took part), sorry about that. In regard to the beginning post - there are two facts about concrete: It WILL crack, and no one will steal it. With out reading every word on this thread, I recommend paver's; if one goes south on you, you can replace it (assuming the pattern is still available). If one sinks on you, you can lift it and add more sand - pretty good product. I just put in 1,100 foot this summer. That's in addition to what I put in a couple of years ago.

For what it's worth...

Les...
                                Although, you could get it stolen if you use copper as rebar - not a bad plan if you know you will have to pull it up in the future. When the time comes just expose the copper and wait for the idiots to show up.

Make sure your house is not plumbed with copper first, however...

Seriously, I'm thinking much more along the lines of pavers than a full slab patio. The footings would be concrete, obviously, but I rather prefer pavers in terms of installation - unlike concrete you have no urgency in working and can go at your pace, not theirs.

And nothing says you have to use brick...
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X