Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Espresso machine for the outdoor kitchen

Thanks for your input.
    I have varied the grind size and believe it is correct from other professional barista remarks.
    The tamping makes little difference whether I use a 15kg pressure wih a smoothing twist to polish the surface of the ground beans. My wife doesn't agree with the 10-15kg pressure but the coffee concentrate comes within 4 to 5 seconds as it should.
    I still suspect the beans and will get to the markets and buy some straight out of the roaster for a trial, then it is a matter of finding our preferred mix which could take some time.
    It's a little annoying also not being able to buy the special milk used by the coffee shops here in Adelaide but there is a close alternative, a protein enriched 4% milk fat variety available.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,
      a couple things to throw in....maybe you already know.

Water:
      I assume maybe you don't have a water filter if you are buying spring water?
      Hey I changed over to a Reverse Osmosis unit (under sink unit).....it makes such a difference for coffee, tea, drinking water, ice etc. Sure its not the cheapest option but Adelaide tap water is pretty poor as you know. Plus I was raised on rainwater out in the country and its hard to beat for taste (personal opinion).

Anyway I have a TDS meter which I use to check that my R.O. unit is doing the right thing plus a couple pressure gauges on the side. Anyway I did a comparison once just to see the difference between various water....it went something like this (best to worst):

-Reverse Osmosis
      -Rainwater (my Dad lives 1 hour out of city a cleans tanks yearly etc.)
      -"Spring" water....no these can be very varied due to lack of local proper regulation - some even have a degree of chlorine
      -Filtered Water (standard 2 filter system) - most can barely filter chlorine but after about 50lt. the filters struggle to filter it out.
      -Adelaide Water....if is smells like $#%^.....looks like $#%^...then it must be $#%^

Milk:
      (well yes I admit I do "taint" my coffee with milk)
      I guess you have worked out that our standard skim milk will usually froth up easiest. I prefer a full cream but sometimes it gets a bit temperamental..I guess you know to thicken up your froth you tap the jug on the bench and encourage the bubbles to condense etc.
      And have you worked out how to "hear" if you have the frothing nozzle at the right depth.....Too deep and it "pings" on the bottom.....to high and its noisy and the bubbles are big a no strength.

....not to fool you if it sounds like I might be a coffee purist but hey my Saeco super auto with the right beans, the right water, milk etc knocks up a half decent daily brew.......lets call it my "daily driver"
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I have to confess to having a superautomatic espresso machine as well- I know that purists would probably die before they used one instead of grinding their own and tamping, etc., but all I want in the morning is to push the button. My Gaggia Synchrony compact makes pretty good espresso, and it makes good crema as well.

I did have to switch beans a couple of times, though, to get a brew that had the flavor I was after, and coincidentally, the bean with the flavor I liked also had the best crema. I like a fairly dark, but not burned, bean. The ones I'm using are from Brazil, are fair trade certified, and also certified carbon neutral, although I don't know if that holds true after they're sent from Brazil to here! I store the unused beans in the fridge- I think the oils keep better when I do.

I always thought that skim milk was the best for frothing, too. I drink mine black, so I don't really use that feature... My husband says I should just get a caffeine IV installed.
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Elizabeth they are so convenient

ahhh and then there is my summertime fix.....1 or 2 espresso shots then stick it in chilled milk for an iced coffee.?.....plus ice cream on top and a couple cubes of ice for a slow drink
          or
          just go all out an make an affogato
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

affogato - as in the bitter chocolate ice-cream with espresso? Mmm ... not that we have a warm summer here right now ... but just the thought ...

Our Department has the newest model of bean-to-cup Jura, so I suppose I'll just nip uspstairs now. No ice-cream, but hey. A cappuccino with an extra shot of espresso ... actually the caf-IV might be a practical alternative.

W.

W.
            "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

[QUOTE=egalecki;42720] My Gaggia Synchrony compact makes pretty good espresso, and it makes good crema as well.
              QUOTE]

Elizabeth, I have the same machine. I agree, you really can't beat it for convenience. I use Lavazza beans, and get great crema. Certainly better than any espresso stand or coffee shop in town.
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

wlodek....I guess its pretty much expresso with ice cream......I usually like it with something like a very hard ice cream with a slight toffee flavour

I tried turkish delight flavoured ice cream once but it was too rich
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Affogato? That's a new one to me, but from the descriptions I am just drooling! I roasted some more Monkey Blend a couple of days ago, so it should have rested enough to use tonight. I have to pick up some ice cream though. Anything else special in the preparation?

Thanks,
                  Travis
                  TravisNTexas

Comment

Working...
                  X