Posts to support roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Posts to support roof

I would expect that this type of structure will fall under your local building code requirements.

Check with your local building department for advice.

If the structure fails and injures someone, I would not like to be the one who has to explain to the insurance company that you built it following the advice of some antonymous internet posters.

This site is a great source for info on oven building, but is not necessarily a place to seek structural engineering advice.
    Last edited by Neil2; 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

You will find that building codes (except fire codes) are pretty much the same nationally for this type of structure. As someone who has bulit such structures on what is probably THE worst dirt in the world for structure support (southern LA) IF the OP follows the basic advice I gave he and his structure will be fine. Yes he will have to get a permit to build as it will be over $500 cost for the structure. Thye will tell him what they would like to see according to their interpretation of the code. Pole buildings are built around the country with both methods I mentioned. Makes it pretty much a proven fact that this method works.

Now to address the diagonals question. Much of the wracking that can occur in such a structure can be taken care of with knee braces such as you would see in a timberframed building. Has been done this way for hundreds of years and many such structures still stand.

Comment

Not trying to be a smart guy, but this post was started in 2008, I would think and hope Travis has built the structure by now four years later?
        "You can tell a dutchman,
        but you can't tell him much"

Comment

Good catch!

Comment

OK smart guy I didn't look at the orginal post date

Comment

Working...
            X