Pauls new outdoor kitchen and oven in Melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pauls new outdoor kitchen and oven in Melbourne

Cup Day yesterday so a precious extra day off.
    Unfortunately my flue is holding my oven progress up so had to turn my attention elsewhere.
    Spent a few hours finishing off a screen next to my oven to hide the clothesline/utility area.
    Paul

Comment

Pauly,
      It looks like your oven has a layer of alfoil over the blanket. Be careful when curing this baby because the foil has a tendency to hold the moisture in. Don't be in a rush to get to 400 C do lots of roasts first. Also a good idea to wrap up the outer shell for a week to keep the moisture in it to make it strong. Then proceed with drying.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Pauly,
        It looks like your oven has a layer of alfoil over the blanket. Be careful when curing this baby because the foil has a tendency to hold the moisture in. Don't be in a rush to get to 400 C do lots of roasts first. Also a good idea to wrap up the outer shell for a week to keep the moisture in it to make it strong. Then proceed with drying.
        Hi David, thanks for your interest.
        It is actually an extra layer of insulation. I used it simply as a vapour barrier when I was rendering to stop the layers of insulation sucking the moisture out of the render.
        And yes, it is wrapped up as we speak, though I suspect curing will not be a big issue for me as the refractory dome is some couple of years old. Still a couple of layers of render to go though so I will take my time with that.
        Thanks again,
        Paul

Comment

Still waiting on my flue so work on my actual oven is at a standstill.
          So I spent the last couple of days sticking sandstone on my concrete top around my oven, including a sandstone landing out front.
          Not entirely in love with it now it's done, but hell, I'm not changing it.
          Paul

Comment

Pauly,
            I cant tell from the pic,, Is the sandstone higher than the oven floor ??

I do like the look !!!!

Cheers
            Mark

Comment

Paulyboy

Nice pics!!!! I also had a problem finding a chimhey for my wood-oven, so in the end I disced the bottom off one of my wife's terracotta pots, turned it upside down and used that instead.......and it did'nt crack.

All the best with the completion of your project

Terry (C.F)
              Honi soit qui mal y pense

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

Comment

Hey Canny,,
                Necessity is the mother of invention creative solution, Some one just said the other day they were going to use 8inch sewer pipe....

Cheers
                Mark

Comment

A sewer pipe is what I would've used, if I could've found one, but was too impatient in the end so I used the "flower pot". Unfortunately it is'nt tall enough to draw the fire sufficently so am thinking of using a detatchable 5 foot piece of chimney flue the next (2nd) time that I fire it up.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                    Pauly,
                    I cant tell from the pic,, Is the sandstone higher than the oven floor ??

I do like the look !!!!

Cheers
                    Mark
                    Thanks Mark,
                    No, the sandstone shelf is a smidge (technical term) lower than the oven floor.
                    Paul

Comment

Canny, got a flue coming, just feeling a tad impatient. You feel like you are wasting precious weekends when you can't move ahead. LoL
                      Paul

Comment

Paulyboy

Impatience was one thing, but what inspired me the most was seeing a documentry on Pompeii uncovered. Seeing this town uncovered and seeing all the little wood-ovens everywhere (" Pompeii style pizza ovens") made me think that these people did'nt have local builders merchants or purpose cut fierbricks or angle-grinders or chordless drills etc.......the necessety to build a wood-oven capable of making bread with the materials at hand was the task. I built mine on this pretense and it cost me about ?80 in all.

I believe once you fire it up, you will have a totaly different opinion of how it looks to you.

Best of luck....Regards Terry (C.F)

Comment

So finally got my flue fitted up.
                          And here is my version of a brick arch.
                          Paul

Comment

Originally posted by cannyfradock View Post
                            Paulyboy

Impatience was one thing, but what inspired me the most was seeing a documentry on Pompeii uncovered. Seeing this town uncovered and seeing all the little wood-ovens everywhere (" Pompeii style pizza ovens") made me think that these people did'nt have local builders merchants or purpose cut fierbricks or angle-grinders or chordless drills etc.......the necessety to build a wood-oven capable of making bread with the materials at hand was the task. I built mine on this pretense and it cost me about ?80 in all.

I believe once you fire it up, you will have a totaly different opinion of how it looks to you.

Best of luck....Regards Terry (C.F)
                            Thanks for the encouragement Terry.
                            There are so many things about my oven and outdoor Kitchen that I would do differently if I was to start again, but I'm sure you're right, once I have my old girl fired up and cooking I'm sure I will love it.
                            Paul

Comment

Pauly,
                              Your brick arch looks great.... No need to change anything,, you can look forward to future advancements,,,for your out door kitchen,,, Your doing a great job BE PROUD....

Just a question for my curiosity ??? whats your weather situation down under this time of year,,, Summer, winter ?? etc...

Cheers
                              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
                                Just a question for my curiosity ??? whats your weather situation down under this time of year,,, Summer, winter ?? etc...
                                Mark, it's springtime in Australia right now. Here in Melbourne we have had a couple of weeks of temperatures in the 30's (90'sF). We might be in for a dry hot summer I think. It was only last summer we had the Black Saturday bushfire tragedy where 100's of lives and 1000's of homes were lost. We are all praying for a safer summer this year.
                                Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X