Using wood framing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using wood framing

I am in the planning stages of an outdoor kitchen project and am wondering if it is acceptable practice to use PT wood framing and sheathing and then cover everything in cement board and stucco. All thpoughts are appreciated.

Re: Using wood framing

what are you planning on building on existing slab, deck or dirt?

Comment

My thought is, "why?"

You can frame in steel studs and cement board and it will be cheaper and no need to work with pressure treated wood.

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I used metal studs when I built an outdoor kitchen a few years ago, so when I built the WFO at the house we have now I used metal again to build the enclosure. I figured not having anything flammable surrounding an oven that routinely gets over 1000 degrees when being fired would be a good thing. Metal studs should be available almost anywhere. Try a lumberyard. It's not that hard to work with the metal. Just buy a metal cutting blade for the circular saw and use good hearing and eye protection. And don't forget gloves. The metal can cut your fingers, and it gets hot when you cut it. And make sure you get the screws with self threading tips. I bought some a few years ago that just had a point on them -- they don't work nearly as well.

Joe
        Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Hey Steve,
          You have a lot of different factors going on here, PT should be used anytime there is ground contact, So your cabinet base should be done in PT. You can then switch to metal studs, which can be much easier to work with, you should also get a good pair of tin snips for cutting tabs on the metal studs.. The metal studs and cement board are not that hard to work with, and well within a beginners reach, the 2 most important things to remember are

1. a metal stud with a sharp edge is like a knife and will cut you bad,,,,(gloves a must)
          2. any concrete board dust you do NOT want to breathe (respirator a must)

I dont see why you coulndt build your cabinet bases with the PT, But just wouldnt reccomend using it anywhere near the oven heat..

One more nite is that a respirator should also be worn when using PT wood,, the sawdust contains nasty stuff you dont want to be breathing..

Good Luck
          Mark

Comment

One final thought: Using wood framing to support your oven is a big no-no. Ovens are heavy and fragile, and need rigid support, not something that moves everytime the humidity changes.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
              Hey Steve,
              You have a lot of different factors going on here, PT should be used anytime there is ground contact, So your cabinet base should be done in PT. You can then switch to metal studs, which can be much easier to work with, you should also get a good pair of tin snips for cutting tabs on the metal studs.. The metal studs and cement board are not that hard to work with, and well within a beginners reach, the 2 most important things to remember are

1. a metal stud with a sharp edge is like a knife and will cut you bad,,,,(gloves a must)
              2. any concrete board dust you do NOT want to breathe (respirator a must)

I dont see why you coulndt build your cabinet bases with the PT, But just wouldnt reccomend using it anywhere near the oven heat..

One more nite is that a respirator should also be worn when using PT wood,, the sawdust contains nasty stuff you dont want to be breathing..

Good Luck
              Mark
              Um, why not use concrete footings raised into a plinth and use that as the footer? That close to the ground even pressure treated wood is going to eventually fail (which will be gruesome for the countertop). Cob houses use plinth footer/foundations very successfully - I would think it would work for metal as well.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

One final thought: Using wood framing to support your oven is a big no-no
                I agree and wasnt trying to imply that, sorry if i confused you with a blanket statement..

Comment

Wood is also a big no-no for framing the oven enclosure. You do not want heat working its way through a gap in your oven or vent and catching the oven frame on fire.

We have lots of Do Not Use Wood statements in the FB manuals.
                  James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I built my outdoor bar seating with metal studs. I found a BBQ forum that recommended using pieces of Trex board under the bottom track to raise the unit off the concrete, so that's what I did.

I absolutely LOVE working with metal studs. Once you get the hang of them, they are light-weight, faster than wood and really easy to correct mistakes (important for me).

As said in earlier posts: GLOVES!! I have the "stupid scars" to prove it.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

It will go on existing concrete patio

Comment

Is the metal framing going to support the weight of the granite countertop? It does not seem like it will be strong enough, especially if it is sheathed only in cement board.

Comment

I believe there are a couple of different gauges of metal studs. The studs at our local Home Depot (what I used) is the light-weight stuff.

If you go for the heavier gauge type (builder supply places) I'm sure it would work fine. I was amazed at how everything firmed up after adding the 1/4" cement board.

Definitely do your own research before starting.

I got a lot of good info from the BBQ Source Forums. These folks are to outdoor kitchens what Forno Bravo is to brick ovens:
                          BBQ Source Forums -> Custom Outdoor Kitchens
                          Ken H. - Kentucky
                          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

If it is the equivalent of a 2x4 it should have no problem. Remember, in normal kitchens granite counter tops are supported by wood and the uprights aren't as big as 2x4's (1x4, I think).
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                            [/CENTER]

Comment

It won't be a problem. The vertical studs give a lot of compression strength. I put an outdoor kitchen on steel and it was no problem at all, although I used slate tile instead of granite. If you are concerned, use heavier gauge steel and put extra studs in. But really, it will be fine.

Joe
                              Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Working...
                              X