What to use for my worktop bench??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What to use for my worktop bench??

I'm hoping that you've been running all out fires for a while now. About how many big burns have you done? How hot does it get up fron and in back, if you know.

Thanks Again!!

Chris

Comment

Have been running fires for awhile now....I finshed the oven in Oct last year and have had many cooking sessions since. As in temps....around the granite area, I would say it would be around the 100 C, but hard to tell but you can keep your hand there for a while without it getting too hot. The heat in the granite and the heat coming from the oven and heading up the flue keeps what ever pots or cast iron cooking items I use warm without any really further cooking of the food, kind of like putting food under a heat lamp like they do at resturants. Have put a pic on here to show you what I mean.

Cheers
      Scott
      Last edited by scottz; 04-17-2010, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Scott,
        Thanks for the additional info and photo, it helps a great deal.. I may cut a remnant of the counter top granite and see what happens.. Right now I have Soapstone layed in the entry and I like the clean and easy to clean surface. The one thing I'm not so sure about with the SStone is the color.. It doesn't seem to have much in common in color pallet with the counter top granite..

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,
          I think you should go for the Granite...I dont think you will have any problems. And it will match in well with the bench top. The only thing I would suggest is cut the granite insert maybe 1 inch or so in before the edge of your oven wall on the outside. You then cut another piece that can go on the outside of the insert and onto the benchtop. Or cut it flush and run a small bit up from the bench and have it inline with the top of the insert. It looks good when you have the polished granite flowing up from the bench into your oven.

Scott

Comment

what about using granite tiles? would they be too thin to withstand heat. All my inside kitchen work tops are granite (pieces - thick) - the hottest they get is when I leave a hot pan from the oven on. Personally I think granite is ugly but I can appreciate it's durability - it's quite normal in Greece to have granite!

Comment

I'll give the Granite a go and see.. If it cracks or becomes a problem.. well, it's worth a try and the consistency of the material will be a plus.

Thanks everyone, for all the feedback!! I'll keep you all posted.

Chris

Comment

I have caesar stone benchtops cut on site to make it a nice fit. 20mm with a 40mm edge. The sink is 30mm thick and the whole left side is 1 piece to the corner (took 4 guys to lift it). If your like me and you treasure your cooking area spend that little extra and you will appreciate it all the time.

P.S Having a sink is just the best as cleaning is a breeze
                Regards
                Adrian

Comment

I must say....you have a kick arse setup Adrian!!! Very, very impressed!!!! Will be getting a couple of quotes of different materials before I make my mind up.

Comment

You get to cook in the shade, how nice. I get the full south FL sun on the back of my neck when I cook. Your set up is very nice.
                    My WFO project: http://picasaweb.google.com/stevprin/WFOSmallPhotos#

Comment

Working...
                    X