Time to Jump In...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to Jump In...

build a double brick wall calculate where you would want different hieghts at leave that row protrude out 1-2" that will be your support for grill grates.

Comment

Movable Grate

Originally posted by Archena View Post
      Um, how do you move it if the door is smaller than the oven? Will the grate be smaller?
      Not sure if I understand the question - I may have been confusing in my description. This is a grill area attached to the side of the oven but not intrinsically a part of it either structurally or functionally. My plan is to simply take a shovel to some of the wood embers/coals and dump them onto the coal grate at the bottom of the grill.

The thought of somehow using oven heat directed toward the grill is an intriguing one but with my newbie skills I plan on making the most fundamental and basic dome I can - and hope it doesn't collapse!

Have I mentioned that I have yet to EVER lay a brick or block in my life? I'm not counting the cinder blocks with planks dorm bookcase I "made" in college!

Then again, I never hung drywall before I bought this house, and my wife and I finished the basement ourselves, so courage (or chutzpah) is not in short supply.
      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by gaptogap View Post
        build a double brick wall calculate where you would want different hieghts at leave that row protrude out 1-2" that will be your support for grill grates.
        An excellent idea. I like that better than the bolts.
        "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
          Joe,
          Is that Lindemans Chardonnay? :-)
          James
          Actually, no - although I've been known to quaff a bottle of it on occasion. They were drinking Kim Crawford (New Zealand) Sauvignon Blanc. Thusfar the best SB I've come across at "weekday" prices.

Me, I'm more of a red wine guy. Oh, and beer.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Is FB New Zealand listening? :-)
            You can't beat a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc -- although Jaysea's company is the Lindeman's importer in the U.S. That must be a good business.

I like the offset brick idea.

I think we could do with some plans here, and I'm happy to draw this up. Should we start with hand drawn top, front and side elevations?

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: Movable Grate

Originally posted by JoeT62 View Post
              Not sure if I understand the question - I may have been confusing in my description. This is a grill area attached to the side of the oven but not intrinsically a part of it either structurally or functionally. My plan is to simply take a shovel to some of the wood embers/coals and dump them onto the coal grate at the bottom of the grill.

Oh, okay, I thought you meant inside the oven.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

I think we could do with some plans here, and I'm happy to draw this up. Should we start with hand drawn top, front and side elevations?

James
                Sounds good. I was thinking of the average cooking height (maybe the middle level of three) being at a touch under three feet (it's the height of the cooking surface on my gas grill and that seems to work well for me). I figure that the coal bed should be about 6 inches below the cooking grate and the floor another 3 inches below that. That would make the "floor" of the grill about 2'3" high if my math is right.

How does a total side and back height of about 3'8" sound? That should be enough to catch splatter and such.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

You can't beat a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc -- although Jaysea's company is the Lindeman's importer in the U.S. That must be a good business.

James
                  Hey, we import Matua Valley Marlborough SB as well. It's about $3 less than Kim Crawford according to ACNielsen.... And the quality is excellent, although the Kim Crawford wines are great as well I admit.

:-)

Joe, I have a friend that has a wood grill like you are describing. He also has a wood oven, smoker and 3 outdoor fireplaces, but that's a different story..

His grill is made from brick and could be described as a brick trough with sides and back about 4.5' high and a front about 2.5' high. No air vents anywhere and none seem to be needed. The bricks in the sides have rows of brick just as previously suggested that are offset outward from the wall, and the steel grill can be slid out and moved upward or downward depending on desired proximity to the coals.

His grill is probably 4' x 2'. Not a small setup. I've seen it handle a whole pig, which was up high and cooked over several hours.
                  - JC

Comment

I was thinking of doing something similar. I wanted to include an arm for suspending a pot or dutch oven over the fire. I saw one on TV where they built a 1/2 inch pipe into the bottom of thefront left corner of the grill area and inserted an arm with a hook on the end to hold a pot. This arm could swivel to place the pot over or removing the pot from the fire.

Comment

James, have you drawn up any plans to post? This idea of an adjustable grate for grill is great. What about metal bars with gaps along from top to bottom for the four corners to allow placement of the top grate. Create some type of crank mechanism that moves the lower grate with the coals up and down? As for refilling coals if needed, what about some type of frontal opening that opens like a chute so that you can dump more coals, wood if needed as replenishment.

Acoma
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Hello folks. I'm new to this forum, but your discussion is just the kind of thinking I have been going through. I'm planning a bread oven. Then thought I needed a work space/shelf to the side. So why not put a grill/bar-b-que on that shelf. And it just goes on and on from there.

But back to reality. A concrete block base for the oven and wall with brick veneer. I might even angle the oven so it is not a direct 90 degree thing. Any suggestions/drawings would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Does anyone have pictures or plans?

Comment

I have just about reached the spot where I am starting to think about my grill. I don't have a lot of space, but I have room to one side of my oven for a wood/charcoal grill.

I'm not sure when I will be ready for drawings, but I'm getting there.
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Here's my doodle to date - bear in mind I haven't built anything yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	outdoor kitchen xyz.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	268112
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                              [/CENTER]

Comment

Exactly. Though we need to work with the size thing.
                                James
                                Pizza Ovens
                                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                                X