Thinking about my first big party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking about my first big party

That's about what I'm looking for. I have a restaurant supply place that's open to the public on my way home so I have a bit of selection available. One downside to this is the selection of everything from plastic dough scrapers to hobart 60Q mixers to high end knifes.. If I were only a rich man... Oh the toys!!

Chris

PS So many toys so little time..

Comment

I am having the same conversation with myself. I planned plenty of counter space next to the oven, then like an idiot stuck a grill right in the middle of it, so I am not going to have enough counter space for full-on production pizza. I am trying to decide if I should build a permanent island or a rolling one. Probably a rolling one, and I will use that for building the pizzas from the dough up. I plan on polishing an area of the concrete in the corner of the counter for dough prep.

For ingredients, I will just make a gallon of sauce in advance. I have not worked out how to prep the dough balls yet, although I have a full size fridge I can use to store them on trays (maybe 6 trays of 6 balls). I plan on having just pepperoni, onions, black olives, Italian sausage, and tomatoes and basil for toppings.

I can cook three at a time with another on the entry, so production shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem I anticipate is keeping people away from the front of the oven so I can work.

Here is a diagram of the layout (can you tell that I am stuck in the office today?):

Comment

Can you, from time to time, use the grill area? I mean, cover it with a removable worksurface. I use a dolled up sheet of 3/4" Birch faced plywood over my dining table inside when I need to feed a crew inside or have a bunch of space for??? A little clear 1 by ripped down and cleaned up as a border and some Watco and wax and "Volia!" you now have work space or room for X people more..

Chris

Comment

I plan on making a butcherblock cover for when not in use. Because of the way it is built, the surface of the grill is 2" lower than the surface of the countertop, so the cover will have "wings" to hold it off the surface of the grill.

Comment

But for a party the grill be in full use.

Comment

Your kitchen Keith appears to be a distance away. I keep a cooler at my feet/prep table for the shrimp, prosuitto, cheeses that melt too fast and raw sausage meets. Eventually it all lays out on the table but do have it ready.
              It really impresses the guests when you have the fresh herbs, squash blossoms and basil leaves laid out on the prep table too, depending on what you're making.

I also hand stretch at the prep table but I do it on a very large pizza tray or regular plastic serving tray to keep the flour IN the tray and NOT all over the prep table that a flat cutting board creates. It also really helps to have your stretching flour and peel flour (hopefully rice flour or semilona if you have to) in some sort of shaker so you dont have to use your fingers that ends up flouring the entire prep surface.

Every pizza party becomes a calmer and organized event (meaning me and my prep table/area) so they get easier every time with experience.

Good luck, and be sure stick a glass of wine or beer in everyone's hand before they walk out to see your beautiful oven . Your going to have a good time.
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I was betting that you might be using the Grill..

I'm playing with the idea of heating Soapstone as a way to hold things at temp. The idea goes like this, create a few stones of varying sizes. Heat them in the oven and place them under the pots or whatever to maintain heat.. I know it's used as a cooking surface at some restaurants and I know it's used as cooking vessels, pots and pans if you can envision it.

Similarly, Korean granite soup bowls are heated in an oven and then rice is placed inside, whatever meat or vegies you want are placed on top of this and then the bowl is filled with stock and seasonings. This can be family style or single servings. As soon as the stock hits the bowl the whole thing is at temp. An egg is often added on top. The crunchy rice at the bottom is considered by many the best part.

Chris
                Last edited by SCChris; 05-27-2010, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, my oven down several steps and a short walk from the kitchen. I'll try to take everything out to the oven if possible, set up a side table along with the counter. Still not sure I trust anyone else to form the pie (the dough, not the toppings). Likewise for turning pizzas in the oven, so, hmmm, I'll have to think about it.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                  Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

I have a large built in bench to the right of my oven that measures about 1.4 metres long.(I am yet to tile it...my wife is yet to decide on the colour of the tiles ) Also I put a folding bench up next to the bench which I use as the pizza prep area. All the food goes on the folding bench and I put a couple of chopping boards on the workbench for slicing up pizza and for hot pans and items. Have put a pic on here to show my workbench. I find it is great and will be good to use once its tiled!!

Comment

Working...
                    X