WARNING: about using Burner with Propane to Cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WARNING: about using Burner with Propane to Cure

I'm confused here. Isn't wood gas a synthesis gas that is produced through the pyrolysis of wood?

Comment

Nope. Complete pyrolysis will drive off all the volatile components and leave only carbon and some minerals. This is charcoal and the minerals are the ash that you find in the bottom of a charcoal grill. Because the gas contains all the volatiles the gas contains tons of tars. These tars would clog an engine in no time. A gasified comes after pyrolysis , you can gasify charcoal easier then you can wood. Wood gas, also called syngas or producer gas is produced by exposing char to limited oxygen, extreme heat and water. This reaction creates a clean burning flammable gas that is mainly hydrogen and carbon monoxide. That gas is wood gas, and can be burned in an engine.

Comment

Hmmmm, looks like I'd better brush up on that subject a bit.

Comment

When I get home and am at my computer I'll post a link to the most advanced gasifier developed during the war. This thing is incredible, building one is on my list of projects to eventually undertake.

Comment

Found it:

http://www.hotel.ymex.net/~s-20222/gengas/kg_eng.html

Really cool read.

Comment

Good link Shuboyje and like you said: cool read. The one hassle I can see with that gasifier is the need to use high quality charcoal. Charcoal used to be readily available in quanity at reasonable prices but today one would probably have that extra step...make the charcoal. There are no actual plans either, but the info is indeed educating.

I did find a site with pretty remarkable products. In a way it is sort of like this Forno Bravo site in that they offer free plans for DIY as well as kits and finished ready to run units. They even have a forum. GEK (Gasifier Experimenters Kit) is basically set up for electric power production (which is my interest) as opposed to powering vehicles.

Here are links which take one to their site with more or less present state of the art plans for free. Roaming around the site via tabs should answer most questions about generating useable gas using wood. Although I am a scrounge by nature and prefer to re-purpose already formed parts, they do offer a kit wherein all one has to do is weld and assemble precut pieces.

Just research at this point.

Home ? Gasifier Experimenters Kit

Build It ? Gasifier Experimenters Kit

Gasifier Systems and Kits ? Gasifier Experimenters Kit

Bests,
              Wiley

Comment

Working...
              X