Newbie needs an advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie needs an advise

I have 2 layers of thermal blanket and I think is 1 1/2" which is covered with 2" of stucco.
    I think I need to add some tiles on the floor or add insulation underneath of my oven stand, I do not know..

Comment

underneath the stand won't do much good. You need insulation between the floor bricks and the hearth if you the oven to hold heat and you want to bake bread
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ok, So what should I do?
        I cannot remove existing brick. Should I laydown ceramic board on the top of my floor and lay another layer of brick?

Do don't know what to do at this point.

Comment

I know you have the floor on sand that is on foil that sits on the concrete, and that the dome sits on some of these bricks. It looks like your arch is something like 10 to 12 inches. I wouldn't want to do much bread if I didn't have a minimum of 2.25 inches of brick in the floor so if you build on top of what you have you'll be loosing the 2.25 and an inch for insulation so a total of 3.25 inches from the existing arch height and this will leave you with something like 7 to 9 inches of vertical. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd work with what you have for a season and see where it takes you. Even if it sounds like Deejayoh and I have some disagreement relative to insulating under the hearth, we both agree that some benefit will be there. Would it be worth the effort? and how much effort would it be? This is where we might butt heads. Anyway, I think I'd work with what you have for a few months and you'll have a greater perspective of your ovens strengths and limitations. In the end you might pull it apart and rebuild it as v.2 and you might find that it's just the right size or too small or whatever. You have the benefit of a oven to play with and any solid WFO is better than none.

Do you have a IR thermometer to check under the hearth and on the dome? They are highly recommended.

Chris

PS enjoy your oven!! Don't worry, Be happy!

Comment

Thanks for your advise! I will report my under the hearth temperature after next fire.

Comment

Ok, I added additional layer of thermal blancket on top of the dome and I am seriously thinking about removig bricks from the floor and adding 2" silica brick on the floor for insulation,

I have a question; my opening is 10 inches and inside of the oven is 15 inches. Will I be Ok by going to 8/13 by raisig my floor by additional 2 inches?
              thanks for advise!

Comment

Working...
              X