Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steady good heat without the large flames. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steady good heat without the large flames. How?

I think your render mix should be fine.

Best to you.

Chris

Comment

Should i heat it up for the crack to expand then fill the crack? Or grind out the crack to widen it then fill the crack? Thanks
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

I'd fill it when it's tight rather than wide, I wouldn't want to create a wedge that makes things worse.. Tscarsborough, would be my go to on this.

Chris

Comment

Thats what i was thinking. I just purchased Rutland fireplace mortar, it says for repairing cracked and chipped firebrick and repoint mortar joints. Also good for 2000f. Its basically what i want to do. So ill widen the cracks and fill it in.

Comment

Good luck, I've found crack repairs to never be particularly successful. But you'll need to get some moisture back into the crack before attempting a repair. Try making a thin slurry of pure calcium aluminate cement and get it onto the mating surfaces after the water, then fill with your heatstop.

I'm an advocate of curing t he oven after insulation because if the dome is uncovered there is a huge temperature difference between the inside temp and the outside temp which may have bee n the cause of your cracks.
            What was the outside ambient temperature at the time you were firing?

Looking at the first photo on this thread it seems as though you have a lot of coinciding vertical joints, this could also be a contributor.
            Last edited by david s; 04-30-2013, 02:52 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Good luck, I've found crack repairs to never be particularly successful. But you'll need to get some moisture back into the crack before attempting a repair. Try making a thin slurry of pure calcium aluminate cement and get it onto the mating surfaces after the water, then fill with your heatstop.

I'm an advocate of curing t he oven after insulation because if the dome is uncovered there is a huge temperature difference between the inside temp and the outside temp which may have bee n the cause of your cracks.
              What was the outside ambient temperature at the time you were firing?

Looking at the first photo on this thread it seems as though you have a lot of coinciding vertical joints, this could also be a contributor.

Thanks David, since ive already purchased the Fireplace cement that is meant to fill cracks and repair damages ill use that, it does contain Cal-Sil. At the lower temps of curing the oven was just warm to the touch on the outside, however yesterday it go nice and warm.

You are right some bricks do have coinciding vertical joints.

Comment

Working...
              X