X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is wrong??

Originally posted by Filthymutt View Post
    Wow, 8 days ! Amazing!

Can you tell me how hot the floor bricks should be getting optimally ?

Well thus far I have made a rudimentary door cut from a leftover sheet of calcium silicate board. And I left a gap at the bottom for a little air flow. The gap is an inch high/ten wide. The door to sheets thick, so less than an inch. I'm going to remake the door, double thick plus a wooden outer skin. With a thermometer. But what of the gap, necessary ?

Bob
    My floor typicaly is about 20- 50 degrees F cooler than my dome after I equalize it.

Insulated door on, coals raked out, wait at least 1 hour to equalize.

I do not have any gap for my insulated door it fits tight. When I am burning I put some brick shims under the door for air and have it placed at the decorative arch. See photo
    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM.
    Chip

Comment

Ok well ignorance is hitting me square in the face once again, guess its time for another reading break.

Chip, your door is on the outside of your outer arch? So your vent is behind the door?

And you close your door with the fire blazing? Even with a gap, the fire still gets enough air?
      I've been leaving my door open the whole time I'm firing and cooking. Should I be closing it?

Equalizing ? Why? How? I've just let my fire burn down to coals and never touch it.
      Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Originally posted by Filthymutt View Post
        Ok well ignorance is hitting me square in the face once again, guess its time for another reading break.

Chip, your door is on the outside of your outer arch? So your vent is behind the door?
        Yes, I use my insulated door at the decorative arch, raised up about .75 inches and it acts as a blast door because most of the combustion air enters the oven under the door.
        And you close your door with the fire blazing? Even with a gap, the fire still gets enough air?
        If I have a very large fire it will begin to huff and chug, then it is time to take the door off because there tends to be smoke created when it is huffing.

Once I begin to cook pizza or other high temp items the door comes off.

I've been leaving my door open the whole time I'm firing and cooking. Should I be closing it?
        Your choice, I think I get my oven hot with less wood this way but it is not scientific just a feeling.

Equalizing ? Why? How? I've just let my fire burn down to coals and never touch it.c
        To bake bread or other items without a live fire. I put my insulated door on as soon as i am done cooking with a live fire, i rake out my coals the next day. equalizing is Not an issue when cooking with a live fire
        Last edited by mrchipster; 09-22-2013, 09:30 PM.
        Chip

Comment

Thanks, for that info. the learning process continues
          Bob

Always ready for pizza

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...ing-build.html

Comment

Working...
          X