Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kiln dried Vs Seasoned?

Ice doesn't discriminate between good or rotten wood, though rot does make the tree more susceptible to breakage. There is some good wood on the ground, but I'll probably be long gone before it's ready to burn.

Lots of damage here, still no power. I hate ice ... I'd rather have loads of snow instead.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Stay close to home and off the roads!
      What do you have? Back-up generation capability to still be online?
      Europe is having the same problem caused by the shift in the gulf stream, England is really getting flooded! What next?

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
        Ice doesn't discriminate between good or rotten wood, though rot does make the tree more susceptible to breakage. There is some good wood on the ground, but I'll probably be long gone before it's ready to burn.

Lots of damage here, still no power. I hate ice ... I'd rather have loads of snow instead.
        Sorry to hear you are w/out power down there. I guess we got lucky and just got all snow up here. We got around 8" here and at least half of it has melted already. Good luck w/your power.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Just got it back...roads are clear, but still lots of trees and damage. Tree guys are i heaven right now.

I have some widow makers to deal with..time to break out my sling shot and pull rope.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I have some widow makers to deal with..time to break out my sling shot and pull rope.
            I converted to a compound bow and a purex jug a few years ago. Sort of like a fishing bow and arrow. But, just a little on the "jury rigged" side .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
              I converted to a compound bow and a purex jug a few years ago. Sort of like a fishing bow and arrow. But, just a little on the "jury rigged" side .
              I would do that if I had a bow for sure! I took my bow hunter course in '06 but I don't have a bow now...I grew up shooting a long bow & recurve. Good times. Maybe when I relocate I'll get a new compound and long bow.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

G'day
                Yes I goggled ice storm which lead to freezing rain, bloody delightful !
                You guys can keep that stuff all to yourselfs, it doesn't sound much fun at all.
                I take it your talking about putting a rope over a damaged tree limb, a widow maker?
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Yeah, and there are plenty of them hanging right now.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                    G'day to you as well!

Looked a little into this on internet:

treatment is either by heat or chemical treatment, used to prevent the spread of some microscopic pest in raw wood or bark. Really is an international rule for pallet and packaging materials. The stuff with HT as part of their label may be OK for burning, but many time pallets have been repaired for reuse, and repairs must also meet same guidelines--but repair materials may be the chemical treated type.. So even for free??? Still would shy away from using as WFO firewood. Some exceptions in packaging material are manufactured woods--plywood, OSB, MDF--and some with very thin veneers that would not host these insects. But these materials are also not suitable for firewood IMHO.
                    I understand fully that things are different in certain areas, for example, pallets and laws affecting them, etc. I was simply speaking of how it is where I am. To each their own, I guess. I have used them and storm damage wood for years and will continue to do so. Guess we are lucky to have access to it......in this area.
                    My Build:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

The more I look into the treatment of pallets, more information points to an international trend. To make it easy to use pallets and re-use pallets, many customers are changing to compliant pallets for all applications. That can be good news for you--if you burn pallet wood. The most acceptable treatment for pest infestation is HT (heat treatment) and no chemicals are added to the pallet wood. Some countries ban the use of chemically treated pallet lumber simply because it cannot be burned for disposal. I guess best practice is to inspect what you are accepting as firewood. Old pallets may still have been chemically treated.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, I've been reluctant to use anything other than purchased hardwood but there's a lit if trees down after the recent weather , pity my chainsaw needs a service. I'd still shy away from construction timber due to possible chemical treatment. Aidan, I bought my chainsaw in Aldi or Lidl about 6 years ago and it has served me well. It's 2 stroke, some American brand . You should keep your eye out for them.
                        One thing I've read is that resinous pine or softwoods give a creosote flavour to your food.
                        Aidan, did you cook food with the conifers you burned or was it just disposal?

Comment

Japan got hit with a bit of snow beginning last Friday. Our area got over 10 inches that later turned to sleet and rain.

Biggest problem here, rural areas don't plow the roads. Now we have frozen ruts that you have to follow to get out to more heavily used roads. Lots of branches down and debris everywhere.

All other means of transport have been stopped or slowed; flights cancelled, Shinkansen rail delayed or stopped, local trains in Tokyo--some crashes because trains could not stop, major highways clogged up with miles of traffic jams. In short, a real mess!

This is the second major weather system to hit here in the last 10 days. Probably the same system that is hitting the USA, Europe and other parts of the world. Glad that spring is right around the corner.

Comment

Aidan, did you cook food with the conifers you burned or was it just disposal?
                            No Rich just disposal and an opportunity to heat up the oven after (during) the long winter - but having seen it clear the dome I don't think I would have a problem using it to get the oven up to temp - just don't cook while it is smoking I would guess. Maybe there is other advice. There is a lot of intermittent smoke initially so that would make it impractical. However it was a good test of the flue - small by most builders on here standards - but it performed well.
                            I know Aldi and/or Lidl carry chainsaws every now and then - I must keep a watch on their specials. My advice is for what it's worth if you can get fallen tree wood hard or soft use it - unless it is one those few that are toxic for cooking.
                            Last edited by Amac; 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM.
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

No chain saw! OK, but don't think that you can't pick up a lot of "fallen" oven size fuel with a "good" set of loppers.

Some of the larger wood was cut with a chain saw. But, I quickly become tired of handling the saw. I have got to get me a smaller saw .
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

You got yourself a real nice load of oven sized firewood. When it dries enough to burn, it will be perfect. Always keeping an eye open is important!

Comment

Working...
                                X