Pompeii oven heating time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pompeii oven heating time

The pompeii oven plans 2.0 claims 1 hour to 700F saturated walls, is that not the case then?
    Heating time is a major advertised feature compared to other models.
    Let's keep it metric

Comment

G'day
      The plans are a little bit old and have some mistakes. The ovens that forno sell are a lot thinner that the ovens that the home builder makes. 4 1/2 ins of brick then a more than generous sparging layer ( just in case a little is good a lot is better) there must be ovens out there that would get to 5 or 6 ins thick...easy
      Mine is for sure ! ...... Twice the thickness requires a bit more wood
      Still the plans are free the advice is free .... And if I wanted a pre build oven I'd buy a forno
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        As a rough guide it takes about one hour per inch of wall thickness to get hot enough to cook pizzas.
        To qualify this statement it takes the heat around an hour/inch to travel through the refractory because brick or castable refractory is not particularly conductive like steel which heats through way faster.As others have stated after around one hour the dome inside the oven goes white and you can cook a few pizzas ok. I often do this as my wife and I are now rattling around a big house with all our kids gone. If I want to cook a larger number of pizzas then I keep the oven firing for longer because the refractory has not been heated through (saturated) This has been confirmed by other oven owners who have thermocouples set at different points at different depths in their refractory.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X