Hydraulic log splitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydraulic log splitter

PP, I sympathize with the back.....sorry to hear its a severe permanent injury. I have 3 lumbar discs that are shot. Although not a severe problem, not a week goes by that is does not flare up and hamper my projects.

George - I will agree with you on back surgery, I will only go that route if it truely cripples me....I know more guys who have had that backs hacked up than have been helped.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaPolice View Post
      Next time you fly over Northern Indiana, spit out the window for me.
      Nahhh... Doesn't work. It just flies right back in

I'm an ex-Hoosier. Grew up in Fort Wayne.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

RT,
        Glad to hear your finally healing.

One of my friend's father-in-law, who was around 60ish YO, had a somewhat elective surgery on his upper back in order to relieve some pain he was having. He ended up a quadraplegic and bed-ridden from the surgery, and has to be taken care of by my friend and his wife now. Not all the surgeons are as skilled as they lead you to believe.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I bought a hydraulic unit. It had to handles to pump the jack.

It didn't last the weekend. I returned it for a refund.
          Better to save up and grab an electric model.

My 2 cents.

Dave
          My thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
          My costs:
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
          My pics:
          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Hi Folks!

Any of you tried or have an opinion on this unit:

Quality Craft Foot-Operated Log Splitter ? 1.5-Ton Capacity, Model# LSF-001 | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

It's a ratcheting foot operated log splitter. I saw one on Ask This old Hoiuse a while back.

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

1.5 ton isn't very much - may as well use an axe. I've had some oak that stopped my 20 ton splitter.

Les...
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Harbor Freight has the 10 ton manually operated splitter on sale now for $80 and I'm thinking about picking it up this week at the closest HF. I was looking at this particular unit these past several weeks as it was listed for $120 until today when I caught the sale.
                For $80 I'll give it a try as I have several green logs which need splitting.
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Here's my new toy that I picked up at Harbor Freight yesterday, on sale for $80... ..
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I've got the same 10-ton HB log splitter...it'll split some pretty tough woods. I have had some logs it just couldn't crack, the ram just stopped with plenty of room left. All in all though, it's a good tool for the money.

Split wood makes all the difference in being able to control the fire quickly...it catches almost instantly on a hot fire.

Comment

Log Splitters are always better than using the axe. It will save your precious time and the energy which you can use them in more important works.

Hydraulic Splitters are easy to use as they have a switch to on and off them. They are better than the electric log splitters also.
                      Log Splitters

Comment

It is always better to use the Hydraulic Log Splitters than the traditional axe to use cutting the wood. They will save your and the precious energy which you can use for your other important tasks.

Hydraulic log splitters are easy to use and are much better than the electric ones also.
                        Log Splitters

Comment

Anybody out there ever build a splitter?

I'm thinking of going the route of using a Japanese "K-car" water cooled engine (600cc) as the power source; weld up a frame out of square steel tubing that would hold the engine; mount that onto an axle (salvage rear axle from front-wheel-drive vehicle (wo springs); then use a section of I beam for hitch and main body of splitter.

haven't thought too much about it--but a heavy-duty hydraulic cylinder (stroke maybe 12-14") would do the trick. All the rest is simply a little hydraulic hoses, reservoir for hydraulic oil, hydraulic pump and valve assembly.

Making one would be a fun experience--a little different than building a WFO but none the less fulfilling. Then you would know your weaknesses quickly!
                          Poor design, poor welding, poor sizing of pump etc. but would be a real good way to pass the time making rather than swinging an axe forever!

Comment

If you cut your wood quite short, around 6" or so, splitting becomes much easier. It means double the cutting, but this way the timber dries faster too.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

mikku,

I considered it for a while. My father in law gave me his 20 ton so I didn't pursue it.

These people have everything you need, you may have something like this in Japan.

Northern Hydraulics - We supply the finest hydraulic pumps, motor, valves, and Honda equipment offered.
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                                If you cut your wood quite short, around 6" or so, splitting becomes much easier. It means double the cutting, but this way the timber dries faster too.
                                David s, that is good for pizza ovens but it makes a real pain out of piling up the wood, piles just like to fall over. My Jotul takes wood that is 400mm long, that is about as close to 16" as a chainsaw can cut. Even with that the piles are tippy. The oven takes almost anything but I need consistency in my life so everything 400..

had a splitter while in USA, was a communal operation since there were 4 family members burning wood at the time. That one was a manufactured unit with a big Briggs. I really got tired of pulling the rope on that one!

I think after seeing and using that for 20 years, I can come up with something better with scavenged parts around here and a little welding. I like the idea of turning a switch. There is also a good possibility of getting a 600 cc diesel as well, properly mounted--would be cheap to operate and last the rest of my life!

Just have to add that to my want to do list..It is longer than my arm right now and growing!

Comment

Working...
                                X