X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydraulic log splitter

Originally posted by Les View Post
    mikku,

I considered it for a while. My father in law gave me his 20 ton so I didn't pursue it.

These people have everything you need, you may have something like this in Japan.

Northern Hydraulics - We supply the finest hydraulic pumps, motor, valves, and Honda equipment offered.
    Thanks for the info. If they accept AMEX and ship internationally is another topic. Really went round and round with a company in Canada to get chainsaw parts for my old Swedish jonsered 66 chainsaw. Wanted a longer bar--now 24" to match the power of 66cc of chainsaw!

Comment

Update of log splitter--
      On Sunday, Mr. Yoshida and I drove to Ibaraki prefecture to work on a backhoe of a friend of mine. This was the 4th time to travel there because each time I thought the repairs were done, something else was wrong with the machine. 34 years old is one of the big problems because the manufacture IHI (Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries) still maintains some of the parts for this machine but not all!

Back to wood splitter--while driving there, I was explaining my ideas of using a "K" vehicle engine to power the splitter and some of the design ideas I had. He interrupted while I was talking about the hydraulic cylinders and pump and said that he was just talking to one of his friends who was going to scrap a crawler loader with backhoe mounted on the back. He said that I could probably salvage some very good cylinders for the splitter. Also I could probably get a hydraulic pump and some of the control valves and hoses! I asked what the salvage parts might cost--he said about $10 per part that I requested.

So I gave him my list--largest shaft diameter cylinder with about 20" stroke, hydraulic pump, oil reservoir, hoses, and now a secondary cylinder; smaller shaft diameter but longer stroke. He said that my wish list would be about 30 to $40. I said if he could make that happen please give my requests to his friend.

The list was more specific--I wanted the mounting plates (for hydraulic cylinders) cut from the assembly as a single piece. That would make mounting a lot easier not having to look for pins or mounts. Also asked for the hydraulic hoses to be removed in as long state as was possible without having to go to extremes, same goes for control valves etc. The hydraulic reservoir tank for this type of machine would be pretty big, but it would have the proper tappings already on the tank--the tank itself could be reduced in size as long as you kept the filler pipe, and tubing thread tappings a part of the salvaged section of tank!

My current design will have the splitting beam mounted in the "travel mode", horizontally. When you set it up for work, you start the engine and run the control to tilt the splitting beam from horizontal to vertical--- This design would have the splitting cylinder mounted with the splitting head mall- and that would push downward to separate the wood into split firewood pieces.
      This will eliminate having to raise some the wood pieces waste high for splitting. My arms and back will thank me in the future.

The whole wood splitter will be made from recycled parts. Running gear will be the rear axle, brake and spring assembly from a front -wheel drive vehicle.
      Engine, radiator, hoses, wiring harness, ignition switches, voltage regulator and battery from a "K" car or truck- lowest mileage as possible on scavenged vehicle!

Have to start accumulating the items so that construction final plans can be prepared!

Eyelids are getting heavy--time for some sleep! Morning comes very early around here!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
        Update of log splitter--
        On Sunday, Mr. Yoshida and I drove to Ibaraki prefecture to work on a backhoe of a friend of mine. This was the 4th time to travel there because each time I thought the repairs were done, something else was wrong with the machine. 34 years old is one of the big problems because the manufacture IHI (Ishikawajima-Harima Heavy Industries) still maintains some of the parts for this machine but not all!

Back to wood splitter--while driving there, I was explaining my ideas of using a "K" vehicle engine to power the splitter and some of the design ideas I had. He interrupted while I was talking about the hydraulic cylinders and pump and said that he was just talking to one of his friends who was going to scrap a crawler loader with backhoe mounted on the back. He said that I could probably salvage some very good cylinders for the splitter. Also I could probably get a hydraulic pump and some of the control valves and hoses! I asked what the salvage parts might cost--he said about $10 per part that I requested.

So I gave him my list--largest shaft diameter cylinder with about 20" stroke, hydraulic pump, oil reservoir, hoses, and now a secondary cylinder; smaller shaft diameter but longer stroke. He said that my wish list would be about 30 to $40. I said if he could make that happen please give my requests to his friend.

The list was more specific--I wanted the mounting plates (for hydraulic cylinders) cut from the assembly as a single piece. That would make mounting a lot easier not having to look for pins or mounts. Also asked for the hydraulic hoses to be removed in as long state as was possible without having to go to extremes, same goes for control valves etc. The hydraulic reservoir tank for this type of machine would be pretty big, but it would have the proper tappings already on the tank--the tank itself could be reduced in size as long as you kept the filler pipe, and tubing thread tappings a part of the salvaged section of tank!

My current design will have the splitting beam mounted in the "travel mode", horizontally. When you set it up for work, you start the engine and run the control to tilt the splitting beam from horizontal to vertical--- This design would have the splitting cylinder mounted with the splitting head mall- and that would push downward to separate the wood into split firewood pieces.
        This will eliminate having to raise some the wood pieces waste high for splitting. My arms and back will thank me in the future.

The whole wood splitter will be made from recycled parts. Running gear will be the rear axle, brake and spring assembly from a front -wheel drive vehicle.
        Engine, radiator, hoses, wiring harness, ignition switches, voltage regulator and battery from a "K" car or truck- lowest mileage as possible on scavenged vehicle!

Have to start accumulating the items so that construction final plans can be prepared!

Eyelids are getting heavy--time for some sleep! Morning comes very early around here!
        Hi Mikku,

Your mornings will come even earlier, if you don't stop leaving your SKYPE, on!

Comment

Well today, I began tackling the wood pile. The 24" bar and the 66cc chainsaw combination are a real back buster. But the saw cuts through the big oak logs like butter. I think that I am going to change back to the 16" bar and see if it works better. If I have to cut from two sides of the huge logs, might be easier than handling this really heavy saw.

I had a chance to borrow a wood splitter manufactured in Italy that was imported into Japan. Funny thing, it has a Kawasaki engine on it! This machine only has a 5.5 hp engine but it sure makes short work out of these huge oak logs. It hardly even labors to drive the piston forward to split even 30" diameter oak blocks. Now I am getting into the habit of trying to debark as much of the wood as I can with the splitter. Getting picky now that the splitting is so easy. Get as much bark separate and the inner pieces are simply vertical grain oak that I am cutting down to biggest maybe 3" squares or triangles! this machine is a horizontal splitting machine but it is close to the ground. You still have to bend but the pieces do not fall too far because there are wings on the splitter.

Now I have to re-think my splitter design. Still like the idea of a K-car engine, probably will never wear out in several lifetimes of wood splitting. Electric start, water cooled, low noise and all the power in the world!

All this talk about splitters that are just short hydraulic jacks that you hand pump--what a bunch of BS. I don't know the price of the Italian unit but it really has to be up there! My design should be in the $100's of dollars at most using all recycled parts! A McGuiver special!

I only cut about 10 logs this afternoon, but the mountain of wood is spectacular to look at! When the 8 meter long pile of wood is all cut and split, there will be plenty for the WFO and Jotul for a couple of years burning!
          Look forward to toasty winter days and tasty things from the oven!

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
            Hi Mikku,

Your mornings will come even earlier, if you don't stop leaving your SKYPE, on!
            Just because Skype says online means that calling at 2AM is OK! Your vampire hours that you keep wear us regular folks down. But sometimes nice talking to the hehehehehehe guy when I am doing my early communications with suppliers in the USA and Canada!

Comment

Working...
            X