Smokey oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey oven

I’m on the second to last day of curing my oven and I’ve been getting nothing but smoke coming out the front rather than all from my chimney. My wood is seasoned for two years now and I can’t think of any other reason besides my wood being wet, which it isn’t. Should I have my door partially closed or when I’m finished curing my oven tomorrow, just keep adding a lot of wood to get it up to temp?

Thanks!

The oven is probably still wet and your possibly overloading the oven with fuel. But, your post does not include enough info to get a diagnostic. Will need oven type, oven size, flue design, flue size. Please include the materials used for the oven build, including under floor insualtion. Some pics would help. Also, wood species etc.
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-03-2020, 04:14 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      The oven is probably still wet and your possibly overloading the oven with fuel. But, your post does not include enough info to get a diagnostic. Will need oven type, oven size, flue design, flue size. Please include the materials used for the oven build, including under floor insualtion. Some pics would help. Also, wood species etc.
      Or a quick video!
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        The oven is probably still wet and your possibly overloading the oven with fuel. But, your post does not include enough info to get a diagnostic. Will need oven type, oven size, flue design, flue size. Please include the materials used for the oven build, including under floor insulation. Some pics would help. Also, wood species etc.
        I made a critical mistake when ordering my flue (custom made from a local metal works firm). Whilst the flue does draw nicely, the flue height does not clear the roof of my house. With any gust of wind smoke gets caught under the roof overhang and circulates around the cooking area. When this happens smoke begins to escape from the oven door. After searching the forum i see that the flue should clear the building by 2ft, perhaps for safety but also to avoid the situation I find myself in.

My options are now to see if a local metal works company can remove the flue cap and extend the flue to a height that will clear the house roof. Second option is to have another flue made to the correct height (likely the more expensive option).

My flue is double walled and insulated - If I am able to extend plug into the top of the flue, does the design of the plug matter or could, for example, a single walled galvanised steel plug work fine?
        My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

Originally posted by danhem View Post

I made a critical mistake when ordering my flue (custom made from a local metal works firm). Whilst the flue does draw nicely, the flue height does not clear the roof of my house. With any gust of wind smoke gets caught under the roof overhang and circulates around the cooking area. When this happens smoke begins to escape from the oven door. After searching the forum i see that the flue should clear the building by 2ft, perhaps for safety but also to avoid the situation I find myself in.

My options are now to see if a local metal works company can remove the flue cap and extend the flue to a height that will clear the house roof. Second option is to have another flue made to the correct height (likely the more expensive option).

My flue is double walled and insulated - If I am able to extend plug into the top of the flue, does the design of the plug matter or could, for example, a single walled galvanised steel plug work fine?
          I don't know how your chimney sits on the masonry. But if it is possible to take it off, would it be easier for the metal worker to weld an extension from the bottom, say another 50cm or thereabouts so you get clear of the adjoining roof? Might be easier than having to remove the welded (?) cap up top...
          My build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ress-of-buildi

Comment

Hi YokD,

I purposefully made sure the chimney is removable as I’m expecting to wrap the oven up soon before the rains really come. We are getting daily down pours for an hour or so and my temporary tarpaulin cover is working fine, but the cover will need to be more sturdy once the big storms and winds arrive.

In light of that and with what you have suggested, I will see if we can get a lower extension made. My anchor plate was fixed in between a brick sandwich and is firmly in place. If the steel works can somehow weld a double walled and insulated lower extension I’ll be much happier with the smoke distribution. As a plus the oven will likely draw much better than it already does.

if you remember I got the pizza oven company guy in Phuket to make my chimney. It took 5 weeks to arrive and although the design and construction is pretty good, it arrived 30cm short. I could not go through the hassle of contacting him as his communication was terrible throughout the ordering process.

lets see if I get cam the chimney above the house roof and l be a smoke free happy chappy.

thanks,

danny.
            My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

Working...
            X