Oven temp profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oven temp profile

Depends if you either need the space or need the oven floor clean, but there is no problem leaving them there. If I'm doing a roast I only fire for one hour then just push the coals aside and slide in the oven tray. The oven is not completely saturated with heat, but it's plenty to cook the roast and uses very little fuel.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Drewaudio, if you are baking bread you take out the coals. Great numbers davmorr, you did it right. Another data point. It appears that if you follow the FB design, you can expect to get 500F degree heat for at least 12 to 18 hours. I still believe the major factors in heat retention are the efficiency of the door and the insulation.
      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I don't remove the coals until 15 to 20 minutes prior to bread baking, when I remove them and swab the hearth. I replace the door to allow the hearth to equalize. After 15 to 20 minutes pass, I use the FB infrared thermometer to measure center hearth and dome temperatures. My oven seems to run about 50? plus or minus difference between the dome and hearth at 12 to 14 hours after firing and saturation. Although I'm keeping records of temperatures at different locations within the oven, I'm using only the center hearth temperature for making the decision on whether to load bread and the probable length of the bake. I'm still learning my oven, but it has been a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by davmorr View Post
          My oven is a 42 inch Pompeii built this past summer and fall to the insulation specifications in the FB plans. The cavity around the oven is filled with perlite, with about 18 inches over the top. My metal door is insulated with 2 inches of ceramic board (left over from the board used to insulate the hearth) and 2 inches of loose fiberglass batting....snip....
          Your experience is encouraging us to 'keep to the plans'.

I read above, that you put the perlite over the oven....I'm assuming the perlite went on over a ceramic insulation layer placed in contact with the dome? Forgive me for asking the obvious, but I'd like to duplicate your results, and every detail can be crucial, espesially if the detail is overlooked

Les, your numbers are enviable too
          Last edited by Lburou; 01-27-2011, 04:08 AM.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Well it took a while. I have many thermocouples and an IR so this is from two points point of the oven. First is the floor one inch down and the second is a wall one inch in. I'll be making a graph for all the points involved

Sunday we did a preheat on the oven so
            Monday 10:40 am floor 245 wall 258
            Fired the oven
            Monday 4:12 pm floor 722 wall 675
            Baked 59 lbs of bread with floor swabbing
            Monday 9:42 pm floor 392 wall 432
            Closed door
            Tuesday 9:38 am floor 344 wall 369
            Wednesday 9.40 am floor 254 wall 273
            Thursday 9:46 am floor 193 wall 206
            Friday 9:40 am floor 146 wall 156
            Saturday 9:40 am floor 120 wall 128