What Wood Do You Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Wood Do You Use?

[QUOTE=Capt;139185]I use 2-3 year seasoned Oak, Ash, Maple, cherry and pear.

We could all wish for such a stack of wood.
    Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

For southern Ohio, Oak is quite readily available.....I also have some cherry, Ash, Walnut (though it burns hot and fast) among other hardwoods.......NO PINE however!

Comment

New to the WFO arena, but I've been using almond. I use it ito heat the house in our fireplace also, burns really hot and clean with very little ash.

m

Comment

I use 100% maple. Actually I am in the midst of cutting and splitting about 30 cords of it at my cabin where I also use maple to boil maple syrup, heat a cedar wood fired hot tub, heat a suana and heat the cabin when i go there in the winter.

I had a logging truck drop off a load of logs 5 meters or16' long. I used to use cedar as kindling to get the fire going. Now I use a propane tiger torch faster and easier.
          Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

My favorite is Cherry. It is expensive, but it smells soooooo good when you burn it. I also have some Hickory and Locust. Any good hardwood will burn just fine. Once you get the oven fire going, the combustion of the wood is nearly 100% so there is little smoke that is produced. So dont expect much smokey flavor in your foods.

Comment

I burn just about anything to get the fire started. scrap lumber, twigs. But once the fire is going I like cherry. Apparently they are chopping down a lot of the old orchards and replacing with dwarf trees - so there is a lot of it around

Man7sell - Curious if you've used any fir? pretty common around here (I'm in WA too) but not sure how it is with popping/spitting
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
              X