Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: winter cooking ?

Acoma,

Do you have your Matrilite 18 yet? Where did you find it? I have not had any luck.

I?m thinking of an igloo style, so a good insulating layer over the blanket is important. I?m thinking of using Matrilite 18 over the blanket rather than vermic/cement also. I have not had much luck with Jim?s link. I looked around the site, but I could only find a reference to Matrilite 24 and 28, and I didn?t see a distributor west of Texas.

Guerito

Comment

RC, forget the stucco material. Stay the course of insulating based on what Jim and I have said. Based on the scenery, desired look, you will want strong insulation as a factor. to worry about curring and quick fix in my opinion is wrong. Focus on finishing, curing, then pick up large tarps and painter blanket as necessary; or, rent a concrete blanket. Point to this is that it allows you to apply extra layers of the insulating elements, and to continue with the desired look. Don't rush.
      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Guerito, where are you in your process right now? I like that you are carefully thinking the steps as you (plan? move along?) prepare.

The US distributor is Allied Mineral Products, 3025 Mineral Loop, Brownsville, Texas, 1-614-878-0244

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Acoma, Guerito,

I'm at a bit of a loss. Here, in Ontario, it's prety easy to obtain Matrilite 18 through a company that deals in refractory materials for furnace and kiln builders. Seem strange that you guys can't. Maybe a call to the main manufactuer might work? Don't know what else to say. Maybe email me about it.

Jim
          Last edited by CanuckJim; 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM. Reason: Typooo
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jim, I am not confused. Once I need to get it I will. Please see that I was providing information for a U.S. contact for Guerito.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Acoma, and Jim,

I?m just in the planning or design stage. I am gathering the best ideas and working them into my plan. I?ll probably start construction around the end of March or first of April. I?m looking at an igloo style with 2 to 3? of the new FB blanket, a little chicken wire, and then 2 to 3? of vermic/cement or Matrilite 18 over that. It sounds like the Matrilite product is better and a bit easier to work. Then I?d finish over the Matrilite 18 with a little waterproof stucco application.

Jim, Acoma had mentioned that he was going to use the Matrilite 18 as the final insulation layer and I thought he might have purchased has supply already. From following Acoma?s posts, I know that he likes to plan things our well in advance. Me too! We can sure call B-ville, TX for a local source. However, I did not see Matrilite 18 listed on their web site, just references to Matrilite 24 and 28. They might be a more expensive products that will go to 2400 of 2800 degrees, I don?t know???

Guerito

Comment

Guerito,

I'm not sure why they aren't listing Matrilite 18, but I've copied the material I posted directly from the bags and spec sheet. It may be that they've changed their designation since last fall, don't know. Matrilite 18 is commonly used as a secondary, or backup, castable insulator that is not meant for direct flame exposure as I understand it, though the spec sheet says it's good to 815 C (1500 F) in direct exposure or 982 C (1800 F) as a backup. Normally, it's used to fill kiln or furnace doors or sprayed on the outside of kilns, etc. The grain size is 2 mm (10 mesh and finer). Might be worth it to call them to find out. This is light material in the bag and is shipped in 25 lb. bags. I find three bags should about do it, four if you want to go thick. I pay $31.09 CDN, including the dreaded taxes, per bag. Likely, you'll be able to get it cheaper.

Good thing about it is that you don't have to mix anything, just add water (95to 100 per cent hydration), get everything uniformly wet and go.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Wayne, I looked over a couple of your photos and noticed large gaps, lots of mortar for the last 4-6 courses. Do you feel that structurally all is still sound? Any issues with cracks, etc?
                  Thanks.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

Hi Acoma. No all is well so far only 2 cooking fires though. Curing went good. The mortar I am using is made for large gaps and the very top of dome is a castable with reinforcing stainless needles. Should be ok but I will report any problems. Thanks for your interest. A bit cold here so might not do too much cooking for the next while, still working on facing outer dome with river rock...wayne
                    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Comment

Working...
                    X