Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long to preheat a Pompeii pizza oven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danhem View Post

Appreciate the motivational speech. This weekend will be a real test of the oven. A long slow fire is planned so I’m pretty confident that the oven will perform.

cheers.

The above is a direct quote and the (I&#827) just appeared like a few other oddities in my last few posts so I have no idea what is going on.

Back to the issue. 3 HOURS should be MORE than sufficient for your needs at this point. Re reading one of your statements you say your 3 hour burn produced enough heat for 4-6 pizzas. Im not sure if I'm missed something or what but I don't even see how this is possible. You are cooking the pizzas with a live fire in the chamber are you not?

"I have been basically setting a stack alight and adding logs every 10/15 mins until the carbon clears" is this taking 3 hours? You need to be more descriptive of your specific procedure. I am not sure what the general consensus here is but I have never followed anything to the letter with these types of ovens. Its a constant changing process that although there are some general guidelines that apply loosely trying to follow others is a recipe for more frustration.

Clearing the dome in my opinion is not the "pop up turkey timer" MY oven is not done when the dome clears by any means. I took a look real quick at your profile and see that your oven is a 36"er. Our mobile is the same size and I'm telling you now 3 hours even with the crappy wood I mentioned before is more that sufficient for a full charge.

We use that oven for the Farmers Market on Sundays. There we do around 150 - 200 pizzas out of that oven. I heat the oven for approx 2.5 hours 3 ideally but not necessary. Since your having wood issues im going to use the crappy wood i mentioned as the basis for this. For the entire day I used about a wheelbarrow full of that crap wood, I don't know each bundles amount (pretty standard here in the US so someone might have to chime in as to what it is) but I was getting 5 or 6 and that was just about right on the money and lasted the 5 hours.

I usually started the fire around 6/6:30 or 7 am and at 9 am we are ready to roll MOST times sometimes the wood just is took weak and needs about a half hour more, but as a general rule that 2.5 hours works. I am not positive but I believe I was using at least 2 possibly more bundles to charge the oven initially. That woods BTUS were very low we run the oven on that day at 925-950 or more at times because of the volume and my dough, all things considered those are the numbers that work for my operation. We are getting a full bake (12"/ 230-240g) in about 75 seconds at peak times, again, were were achieving this with that crappy wood as well.

My firing procedure is to build a stack in the center (left to right) of the oven and just forward of the center front to back. So the back side of my stack is inline with the center of the dome (approx)

I light this and when it has burned down to the lower logs and going good I will start adding wood to the left, right (and center if necessary) of it about 3 pieces (2-3" diameter) on both sides. I like to let this get really fully engulfed and start to die back before adding any more wood to the sides and middle.

When I started cooking with retained heat I would stock the oven (a barrel vault bread oven) and let it burn from front to back and add wood from back to front for the second round. I find that is a little to harsh for my pizza ovens and I fire it from front to back, again this is what works for me.

As it burns towards the back almost the entire floor width is in contact with wood, embers or flame as well as the dome and sides fire is touching everywhere except a small space on the hearth slightly back below the throat ..As it burns down I add more to the sides, middle and this process continues till it burns all the way to the back wall. The dome has cleared a bit ago and the oven is STILL not ready yet for the day (for MY needs)

I do not have any thermal couples nor do I use my IR gun during this process. The only time I use the IR gun is to show a doubting customer that doesn't believe we can cook in a 950 oven (usually I will give them a dome shot that's about 11-1200 and they gasp and ultimately shut up. This is what I mean by getting to know YOUR oven you certainly an use the thermal couples and the gun to help the process and it truly does help but ultimately it will be something you come to just know and feel.

So after the last bit of wood is added I will try>>>TRY>>> to let the oven soak for a bit (about 20 min works great) by raking the coals over the entirety of the oven floor WITH THE DOOR OFF. I say the door off for me because some douchebag stole the one I built years ago and I have never made another one so I don't use one. I point out the no door because I want you to see that even with NO door for the soak it still works. After the soak I clean up the hearth and rake the coals to one side and add logs for a live fire to start cooking.

Keep in mind ALL of this changes to some degree with each batch of wood no matter WHAT quality it is. It can be all oak but some will be older that others or have retained a bit more moisture or be more dense or a multitude of different wood related issues. The ambient temperature also effects the oven. Believe it or not when its 115 here the oven is MORE difficult to heat up than say our winter or fall temps of about 40-50 in the early am

I could go on but I have a sneaky suspicion that you are not using enough wood or you fires are not hot enough is the issue not so much the length of time based on your wood and fire comments I just read.

Comment

Originally posted by danhem View Post

The wife seems to think that it’s an expensive wood. Seems that there may be a wood called mai khaen hua that would be more affordable for burning. I’ll ask my supplier if she can get some.

thanks for the tip
      Yes, that will work well too.
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Originally posted by mefornaio View Post

The above is a direct quote and the (I&#827) just appeared like a few other oddities in my last few posts so I have no idea what is going on.

Back to the issue. 3 HOURS should be MORE than sufficient for your needs at this point. Re reading one of your statements you say your 3 hour burn produced enough heat for 4-6 pizzas. Im not sure if I'm missed something or what but I don't even see how this is possible. You are cooking the pizzas with a live fire in the chamber are you not?

"I have been basically setting a stack alight and adding logs every 10/15 mins until the carbon clears" is this taking 3 hours? You need to be more descriptive of your specific procedure. I am not sure what the general consensus here is but I have never followed anything to the letter with these types of ovens. Its a constant changing process that although there are some general guidelines that apply loosely trying to follow others is a recipe for more frustration.

Clearing the dome in my opinion is not the "pop up turkey timer" MY oven is not done when the dome clears by any means. I took a look real quick at your profile and see that your oven is a 36"er. Our mobile is the same size and I'm telling you now 3 hours even with the crappy wood I mentioned before is more that sufficient for a full charge.

We use that oven for the Farmers Market on Sundays. There we do around 150 - 200 pizzas out of that oven. I heat the oven for approx 2.5 hours 3 ideally but not necessary. Since your having wood issues im going to use the crappy wood i mentioned as the basis for this. For the entire day I used about a wheelbarrow full of that crap wood, I don't know each bundles amount (pretty standard here in the US so someone might have to chime in as to what it is) but I was getting 5 or 6 and that was just about right on the money and lasted the 5 hours.

I usually started the fire around 6/6:30 or 7 am and at 9 am we are ready to roll MOST times sometimes the wood just is took weak and needs about a half hour more, but as a general rule that 2.5 hours works. I am not positive but I believe I was using at least 2 possibly more bundles to charge the oven initially. That woods BTUS were very low we run the oven on that day at 925-950 or more at times because of the volume and my dough, all things considered those are the numbers that work for my operation. We are getting a full bake (12"/ 230-240g) in about 75 seconds at peak times, again, were were achieving this with that crappy wood as well.

My firing procedure is to build a stack in the center (left to right) of the oven and just forward of the center front to back. So the back side of my stack is inline with the center of the dome (approx)

I light this and when it has burned down to the lower logs and going good I will start adding wood to the left, right (and center if necessary) of it about 3 pieces (2-3" diameter) on both sides. I like to let this get really fully engulfed and start to die back before adding any more wood to the sides and middle.

When I started cooking with retained heat I would stock the oven (a barrel vault bread oven) and let it burn from front to back and add wood from back to front for the second round. I find that is a little to harsh for my pizza ovens and I fire it from front to back, again this is what works for me.

As it burns towards the back almost the entire floor width is in contact with wood, embers or flame as well as the dome and sides fire is touching everywhere except a small space on the hearth slightly back below the throat ..As it burns down I add more to the sides, middle and this process continues till it burns all the way to the back wall. The dome has cleared a bit ago and the oven is STILL not ready yet for the day (for MY needs)

I do not have any thermal couples nor do I use my IR gun during this process. The only time I use the IR gun is to show a doubting customer that doesn't believe we can cook in a 950 oven (usually I will give them a dome shot that's about 11-1200 and they gasp and ultimately shut up. This is what I mean by getting to know YOUR oven you certainly an use the thermal couples and the gun to help the process and it truly does help but ultimately it will be something you come to just know and feel.

So after the last bit of wood is added I will try>>>TRY>>> to let the oven soak for a bit (about 20 min works great) by raking the coals over the entirety of the oven floor WITH THE DOOR OFF. I say the door off for me because some douchebag stole the one I built years ago and I have never made another one so I don't use one. I point out the no door because I want you to see that even with NO door for the soak it still works. After the soak I clean up the hearth and rake the coals to one side and add logs for a live fire to start cooking.

Keep in mind ALL of this changes to some degree with each batch of wood no matter WHAT quality it is. It can be all oak but some will be older that others or have retained a bit more moisture or be more dense or a multitude of different wood related issues. The ambient temperature also effects the oven. Believe it or not when its 115 here the oven is MORE difficult to heat up than say our winter or fall temps of about 40-50 in the early am

I could go on but I have a sneaky suspicion that you are not using enough wood or you fires are not hot enough is the issue not so much the length of time based on your wood and fire comments I just read.

Great explanation, thanks! I did have a good chuckle when I got to the part about the door!
        My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

mefornaio Many thanks for your explanation as above. I think you are right, I am probably not using enough wood.

I did a 4 hour burn and got more heat into the oven than ever before. From that burn we threw out 14 pizza in around 40 mins with a live flame burning. The oven floor temp reduced to around 600f after the last pizza was cooked. I would have need to recharge the floor if I need to cook more as they pizzas were taking longer to cook towards the end of the 40 mins.

I am still scratching my head over the heat drain under the hearth floor though. Drain outside of the dome is minimal, but with an ambient temperature of around 90f under the oven, after the 4 hour fire, the temperature under the hearth was at around 130f. This has been consistent since I've been burning fires to max temperatures.

My build process was followed the recommend cement hearth (with 5 weep holes drilled), 2" ceramic fibre board then the oven floor. I am wondering if I have not laid enough ceramic fibre board insulation under the oven floor bricks and that this is the reason why my floor will does not retain heat as efficiently as it could? The plans did state that 2 inches should be sufficient, as have many other posts, but I can understand why I'm having this heat drain issue.

I do know that the ceramic fibre board got very wet during a downpour as my protective canopy was ripped to pieces by the storm, but this is sometime ago now and I've had a lot of fires producing exactly the same result - ambient temp of 90f, spiking to 130f under the hearth. Incidentally, the following morning the under hearth temp is still 130f.

I'm hoping that patience will be my friend here and that over time, somehow the floor will become more efficient.

Thanks again,

Danny.

My Build:

https://community.fornobravo.com/for...and#post423032

Comment

It takes a long long time and many fires to drive water out of the wet floor insulation (as you said, it got very wet), especially once the floor bricks are placed on top. With wet or damp insulation, you will see the heat from the floor bricks transmit fairly readily down to the hearth, just give it some time, each firing will get better.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              It takes a long long time and many fires to drive water out of the wet floor insulation (as you said, it got very wet), especially once the floor bricks are placed on top. With wet or damp insulation, you will see the heat from the floor bricks transmit fairly readily down to the hearth, just give it some time, each firing will get better.
              That's for sure. After all, the oven is tempered in its own way during baking. Of course, this does not apply to metal stoves. But about brick, cement and clay, that's true.

Comment

Working...
              X