No announcement yet.

Swabbing the Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about being outside of your experience base.

Does anyone is the group have experience with tropical woods? I can't' even venture a guess, but I am very interested in learning more.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by beammeup View Post
      Can someone please tell me the advantages of coconut wood? I live in the tropics were coconut trees are in abundance. I am half way through building my pizza oven (36"igloo). Is it able to withstand high heat or something. I have read a few references to coconut wood without the explanation.
      There was some other post, perhaps from a member in the Philippines, which talked about 'coco lumber', I seem to remember...

From my limited experience with palms, their 'timber' or 'lumber' is very stringy and sappy, I have a feeling this might not be the right stuff to burn in a high-heat oven. But I live and learn: I have some Canary Island palms which I cut down and uprooted (because they are pests in the bush) - I'll try to burn some of the stuff once my oven is built and report the experience.

Cheers,

Carioca
      Last edited by carioca; 11-27-2006, 07:32 PM. Reason: typos, what eles?!
      "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

sometimes I feel like a nut

JayJay has talked about coconut charcoal (made from shells) and burning coconut shell husks directly - I scanned back through his posts and did not see any mention of burning the coconut lumber itself. It looks like he has done ok with mango wood. Jayjay does mention on an earlier post on this thread using coconut lumber in his door construction between two layers of plywood. He mentions that it was cut with a chainsaw - presumably it's challenging to split this wood? Jayjay, are you out there to address this?

Comment

Working...
        X