X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shvuntz
    replied
    Re: Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

hey elizabeth. well we will see, i think we will enjoy it a lot when its made...it seems to be taking forever, then its got to dry out for a week, and in the uk thats impossible,,, its been raining all bloody week.
    as long as i can do a grand spread for all of our friends using it i will be happy, i do love to make my own bread aswell...

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Not that I"ve EVER cooked a frozen pizza in the wfo. Looked as though I was, and I swear I'm not.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

In the pompeii oven plans, there's a "why build a pompeii instead of a barrel vault" explanation. Page 8, I think. Read is for why one might be better than the other.

That said, lots of people have built barrel vaults- they work fine. They will also get a lot hotter than your indoor oven, btw. Just takes longer to get there. Pizza cooks better, and actually burns less, at the higher temps in the wfo. (this is based on my highly developed ability to burn frozen pizza in the regular oven, but never burning one in my wfo... but then I can't make microwave popcorn without burning it either)

And the 800 degrees is F, not C, so maybe you've got your units mixed up? 180 to 190 sounds like C, not F. Sorry we're a bit behind in the US on conversion, but for some reason we've just never made the switch, even after YEARS of threatening schoolchildren with it.

You do want to fire the oven long enough to get it really hot, and keep it there for a while, to store up the heat in the bricks. Then you can cook pizza, bake bread, make casseroles, etc. over the course of several days as the heat dissipates. I usually make a list of things I want to cook beforehand to make the best use of the heat. Sometimes I'm horribly wasteful and just let it go when I'm finished with the bread...

Leave a comment:

• shvuntz
    started a topic Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

Oven temperature>>>barrel v dome

Am I being a total twit or what?...Everyone is on about having a domed oven because it reaches a higher temp and its more versatile...well, how high does it need to go, to cook anything?. I mean wont it just burn if its too high, and surely it would be better not to be too hot, how can you cook anything without it getting burned to bits, if its about 800 high..
    My ordinary oven cooks a grand roast at 180-190..what do I do with all those degrees?..
    Also we have built a Vault-Barrel oven for the garden, as I wanted the space inside...1 meter deep..surely it will cook the same as a dome..WON'T IT!!!!?
Working...
X