• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sophias new restaurant

im using kiln brick insulation show you when i get the dome done

Comment

Originally posted by smallholder123 View Post
      i think we are going to end up with a 54 inch cooking floor made from fire bricks 9x4.1/2 x 2 1/2 on there side under a insulatig brick 9x4 1/2x3/4 and then a vermiculite slab 4 inches over a 4 inch slab support hows that add up we will be using overnight thermal mass to cook slow roast and such sorry my first figs are a bit out but the bricks are ordered the dome is 4 1/2 x4 1/2 x3 with a further 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 3 is this enough dome mass ??
      The way I read this you seem to have it wrong. From the bottom up you should have supporting slab, insulating slab, oven floor.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

No you read it right i just haven't a clue what i am doing as it is i now have ..from the bottom up a 4 1/2 inch reinforced concrete slab a 4 inch vermiculite /concrete slab .. as i wasn't sure about just using vermiculite and then a additional 2 inches of kiln brick insulation then a 4 foot cooking floor 3/12 thick

Comment

Originally posted by smallholder123 View Post
          No you read it right i just haven't a clue what i am doing as it is i now have ..from the bottom up a 4 1/2 inch reinforced concrete slab a 4 inch vermiculite /concrete slab .. as i wasn't sure about just using vermiculite and then a additional 2 inches of kiln brick insulation then a 4 foot cooking floor 3/12 thick
          Ah, ok that sounds good, should work well.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

archway coming on nicly I think just got held up by non delivery of a new blade you can tell the blade went by the black bricks and how do you like my brick cutter
            Last edited by smallholder123; 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM. Reason: allows the user to edit my page ?

Comment

well heres some updated photos on our facebook page hope this is how to do it Sophias - Photos | Facebook

Comment

any tips about cutting the angles on my bricks ?? it seems that as i go up a simple wedge is not sitting right and causing a gap at the front seem guess i might have to put up with it as i have to cut them by hand as the cutter i have built is not a real table saw but a 9 inch grinder with a 12 inch blade mounted to a box photos on face book

Comment

If you're cutting your bricks flat on the plywood deck then you'll only get part of the cut you need. If you add a wedge that is the same angle as the face of the last ring, under the brick you're cutting, then you'll get your cheek cuts.

Watch your fingers!!

Chris

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ool-12478.html
                  Last edited by SCChris; 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Place two bricks at about the angle they would be on that ring, observe the gap and cut accordingly. You can draw a template from cardboard for each ring to make it easier to keep them consistent.

Difference between inner and outer face width depends on your dome radius.

Comment

any ideas about what is the best insulation inch for inch ..ie whats better a inch of 26gd kiln white insulation brick or a inch of vermiculite cement or a inch of soluble blanket ????

Comment

help I cracked my dome not all the way thru but where the chiminy meats the dome and the crack runs thru the entire insulation dome and only leaks near the chiminy will this be a catastroff or will i go and make repars tommorow and all will be fine i did cure for 4 days at 200 300 then 400 but went a little over board today at 600 some one please tell me that all will be fine

Comment

Breathe easy, as long as it's not structural it can be patched and if it's structural it likley can be fixed... These ovens are forgiving.

Others here will have first hand knowledge of what and how to fix the crack. Post a picture and it'll help to find the right help.

Chris

Comment

No worries mate...happens all the time. I would not even bother with it for now, there will be more as time goes on. My oven didn't settle down for months.
                            Good luck on your adventure. when do you open?
                            Trying to learn what I can about flours, fermentation and flames...

My 81 inch first build; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ost-11354.html

My 52 inch mobile; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f37/...ing-20874.html

our FB page; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Artys...20079718042660

Comment

cheers thats what i thought but just wanted reasurans and we open in about 2 or 3 weeks time as long as we get some money will crawl in tomoorow hopefully if not still to hot to inspect but my camara is broke so will have to wing it cheers

Comment

c went in despit the heat and was a few hair linn cracks no temps loss on to only by the chimminy and pointed and warmed the repair and will refire tommorow only lost heat in the front near the chimminy but the crack from the dome does not follow the crack in the insulating dome may recover the insulating dome with a further 2 inches later have thought I didn't cure enough with not having a door over night a 44 incher requires all night to help dry oops its all a learning curve

Comment

Working...
                                X