Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: should I go wood?

Amen Steve.

Over the past several months of cooking in mine, I've found that the characteristics of the oven are completely predictable. The more we use it, the better it gets.

...and I LOVE my pepperoni
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I guess we will keep an eye on how this thread evolves. :-) Thanks for the positive input everyone.

There is one interesting development at Forno Bravo that we should note. We are in the homestretch for gaining UL, NSF and ANSI approval for the Modena G. It is a gas, gas/wood combo oven that can do it all. It can operate gas-only, wood-only or a combination of the two. Who says you can't have it all.

I will let you know when the listing is official, but the oven, the installation and operation manual and the labels have been approved, and we're down to paperwork details. This is a great commercial oven.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Congratulations (and nice segue).

Cordially,
        Ken
        (I promise I'll behave myself from now on.)
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

For our pizzeria, we're open 6 days, 11:30-2 weekdays, 5-9:30 tuesday to thursday, 5-10 Friday - Saturday.

We have a large (~10 12" pizzas with a fire constantly going) custom brick oven. We probably go through a cord of wood a week. We pay $70 canadian per cord.

http://www.myspace.com/terracottapizza

Comment

Well I haveto chime in on this thread ...as they say in Napoli ma che cazz sta a di stu strunz francese, perhaps he should drive to Napoli and INLIGHTEN HIS taste buds and educate HIS PALATE some, and get that creamy gurmet stuff out of his palate. we dont need a french disrespectfull dufus commenting on PIZZA, maybe in france your using electric ovens but not in pizza country!!!!!!!!!!!!! electric oven ba humbug

Comment

Educate my palette? Its getting educated everyday with my WFO. And today, ladies and gentlemen it will be with a Mennonite smoked farmer sausage made with moose and or venison. Hows that for an education?

Comment

Wood's good! Once you have a good pizza made in a wood fired oven you'll never go back.

Comment

Wait until you cook sausage or roast game in your oven. It will be like baked mickies in an old wood fired kitchen stove. To die for!

Comment

GOT WOOD....... for me wood was the only way. I used to work at a restaurant and they put in a 60,000.00 rotating gas fired stone oven and they make great pizza's. But I have had the chef here (he is a friend) and he prefers my wood oven better....

Good luck

Comment

If you REALLY want to annoy a Frenchman just remind him that the Italians taught the French to cook...... I am also tempted to remind him that there are more Michelin starred restaurants in Tokyo than Paris. Over here in Europe the reputation of French food is no longer one of excellence but of being staid, old fashioned and living off past glories.

I was in Rome a few weeks ago and we ate at a tiny Pizzeria just off the Piazza Navona. They used a WFO and the pizza was utterly amazing. I noticed that they put a lot of semolina flour in their dough.

This place was so busy with Romans that they put tables in front of the news stand next door as soon as it closed - the news stand owner came back about an hour later and there was a very amusing Italian type arguement - he was paid off in cash in the end.

BTW Pizza Hut use state of the art electric ovens and .......... need I say more?

For sale - one French army rifle, never fired, dropped once.
                      Last edited by blackjack; 12-02-2009, 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It might be accommodating to throw a (tiny?) bit of empathy to Angel40204 given France's recent catastrophic nosedive of their coveted wine industry. According to official figures through June 2009, not only are EU exports of French wine down (Germany -21%, UK -27%, Belgium-Luxemburg -15%) considerably, but so are other world markets (U.S. -9%, Japan -16%). 2009 weather has given France a horrendous growing year and worse, The French Health Ministry is cracking down on wine producers and initiated measures for 2010 to increase the legal drinking age from 16 to 18, ban happy hours and open bars (drink all you can for a flat fee).

A year ago, while touring in Japan, I observed one French restaurant (Kyoto) while I saw five pizzerias.

So next time you fire up your oven, take a moment to savor the wonderful wood scent as you raise your glasses and toast this wonderful WFO community and ask: (all together now) got wood?

John
                        Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 12-02-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                          The French Health Ministry is cracking down on wine producers and initiated measures for 2010 to increase the legal drinking age from 16 to 18, ban happy hours and open bars (drink all you can for a flat fee).
                          John
                          The French to ban happy hours?? I thought they'd done that years ago....

Comment

I can't say enough about WFO cooking. Great heat, flavor and it is renewable. We are lucky we grow our own and fire our own.

Comment

Originally posted by devilmaster View Post
                              For our pizzeria, we're open 6 days, 11:30-2 weekdays, 5-9:30 tuesday to thursday, 5-10 Friday - Saturday.

We have a large (~10 12" pizzas with a fire constantly going) custom brick oven. We probably go through a cord of wood a week. We pay $70 canadian per cord.

MySpace - Terra Cotta - 102 - Male - 318 Pelissier Street, Windsor, CA - myspace.com/terracottapizza

A full cord per week???? What physical dimensions for a stack of wood are you calling a cord? I know a cord as 128 cu-ft, a stack 8' wide, 4' tall, and 4' deep.
                              if the splits were cut in 16" lengths, you would have 3 lengths of wood from front to back, if they are cut 12" lengths you would have 4 lengths depth.

Some people wrongfully call fractions of a cord misleading terminology such as cord, face cord, rick, or a rack. And those are usually 1/4 to 1/3 rd of a full cord depending on the length cut.

UL, NSF, & ANSI listings?? When do you feel these will be official? Those cetifications would help me immensely for getting a Forno Bravo unit into my upcoming operation with the least amount of hassles..

I am waiting for the literature to show up in the mail so I can move forward with building modifications to get one burning ASAP.
                              Thank you,

Oh, Angel. Lighten up!! Global preferences are changing, and all I am seeing is french cuisine falling off behind that curve.

Comment

Seeing what you ended with. We inherited a oven that was not installed and trying to switch to gas has anyone done that and what about a vent a hood vs a chimney for the gas unit

Comment

Working...
                                X