Chimney sealing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chimney sealing

As you already have the inner stainless pipe you could get a sheet metal shop to make you the outer one, normally 2" bigger in diam. It does not have to be stainless because it won't get too hot. This will make it cheaper also, nowhere near $150
    You can tile right up to the outer pipe without any problems, but I would still leave a gap of about 1/8" and fill with silicon.
    Last edited by david s; 08-25-2011, 11:03 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I am looking at buying a double wall duratech pipe. I checked the specs on their website and noticed that a double wall 8 inch has an interior of 6 inches. Is that going to affect my airflow? The oven came with a single wall 8 inch, so I am assuming that they meant it to have an 8 inch pipe. If I want an 8 inch double wall pipe, then I will need a 10 inch exterior. What should I do? get the 8 inch with the 6 inch interior? Help!

Scott D.

Comment

You need 8"inner and 10" outer.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I am building a "house" around my oven (casa2g100) here in Nebraska. I will also need to seal around the flue pipe (single wall), and I am thinking of having a metal collar around the flue supported by steel frame studs. Cement board outer with mortared stone veneer.I am considering using temperature rated caulking just under the outer edges of the collar where it might meet the stone veneer stood off from the flue pipe by an inch or so. Make any sense to anyone but me?

Comment

I have finally decided to cast a concrete ring around the pipe, that will be about 1.5 x 1.5 inches. I will leave about 1/4 to 1/8 inch gap between the ring and the pipe. I will fill this with high temp silicon. I ordered a storm collar, but it was way to big for my design. I figure since I live in Southern California, and plan on covering the oven, that I don't need to worry about water intrusion. I plan on tiling right up to the silicone.

Scott D.

Comment

Hey Scott,
              I have been following your build. Nice enclosure you have there. I also have a Premio2g and have been pondering what to do with this thin pipe once I get to the stage you're at. This past Monday I finally decided to ditch it and ordered a Selkirk Metalbest 8" anchor plate and a 8" x 18" double wall stainless pipe. It was at my door today. It is a few chips cheaper than Duravent but this thing is heavy duty. The outside diameter is 10".

Comment

Working...
              X