Render/stucco dome a little help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Render/stucco dome a little help needed

Because the refractory is extremely porous, in wet weather it will suck up water from the atmosphere even though the oven is completely sealed. Water can often get in around the door and also around where the flue enters the outer shell. Also you tend not to use the oven in really rainy periods so its not getting dried out. I've found it does not seem to need to go right back to the original tiny curing fires, but if you haven't used the oven for ages after rain it is a good idea to give it at least one or two slow fires before really revving it up.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry to thread hijack!

I'm looking to render my dome this weekend. I'm going for a
      Limestone look. Would it be possible to use brickies lite cement plus normal yellow sand?

Is there something I can add to the mix to limit cracking? Like the above fibers? Or something else.

What would I seal with once completed?

Comment

You can use chicken wire. I find the smaller holed stuff better and get it on a roll (160 mm wide) you can then cut it into workable lengths and overlap it.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          You can use chicken wire. I find the smaller holed stuff better and get it on a roll (160 mm wide) you can then cut it into workable lengths and overlap it.
          Yea ive got normal chicken wire but cut into strips!! just thought fibers would add extra strength..

Anything one can add for elasticity?

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
            Anything one can add for elasticity?
            I believe lime helps, my mortar mix was 1 part cement 1 part lime and 4 parts sand.

Comment

Appreciate the help guys! this forum is the only reason i could do this project!

Comment

Howdy Mates : How do you make the final coating over the vermiculite to make it as waterproof as possible ? Were almost done, pictures here: DIY pizza, Pizza Making Supply, DIY Pizza oven, DIY pizza-ovens, DIY wood ovens, pizza Cutter, Pizza Stones, pizza knives, spice shakers, cheese shakers, crushed red pepper shaker, grill pizza, grill pizza, pizza Q, BBQ pizza, make pizza grill, makin Oven is built of mostly "FREE" recycled materials !
                Cheers !

Comment

Don't be in a rush to render over the vermicrete. If you calculate the volume of vermiculite used then you have added approximately a third of that volume in water. As you have made quite a rich mixture 8:1 verm. cement, then the mixture will not dry quickly because more of the spaces between the grains are filled with cement. Suggest you fire about 10 times before considering rendering over it otherwise you risk cracking the outer shell from steam expansion. Also suggest waiting until the outside render is complete and hard and again well fired before waterproofing. The render mix I use is 4:1:1 sharp sand, cement, lime.
                  Good luck.
                  Last edited by david s; 03-26-2012, 04:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X